Author Topic: Tackle Busters (12/1)  (Read 2591 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Tackle Busters (12/1)
« on: December 08, 2019, 06:37:29 PM »
I can't believe I forgot to post this...

So, I really hurt my shoulder on the overnight trip catching bluefin.  I was off the entire week and couldn't really fish since I couldn't do much with my arm and Thanksgiving somehow turned into and took up 3 days.  Between that and rain, I didn't even have many opportunities to get out and fish.
My last day before heading back to work, i decided to take the Curmudgeon out and catch some bass and rockfish.  I only brought one small 20# rockfish rod and 3 bass set ups.  Winds were down and conditions looked to be pretty good.

As I get out of the inlet, I see a mass of birds working and thought "Great, I'll catch up a bunch of macks for surf sharks" and ran the boat to the outer edge of the school.  I was just casting a 2oz megabait that I had tied on for rockfish when I got hit.  I was sure I had a nice bonito on, when it started to scream line and get off.  I reeled in my megabait to see all of the trebles straightened out!  WTF?!?!

I started to work the area and started metering some big fish...

I used a variety of methods and... well cut to the chase....

I hooked 4 more of these monsters and got two of them in, all on bass and light rockfish gear!!!  They crushed me!

First one was a hog and really kicked my ass!

I had another that just plain pulled the hook.

I get the 4th fish that slammed my line and it's a monster!  I was having problems with the new gaff for some reason and finally gaffed him to see the hook pulled out of this cheap piece of crap!
I was too tired and shaking a bit, but decided to troll a (s)medium rapala on the 20#and hooked up again!

After going 2 for 5 because of the small gear I was using, I called it quits and was in my driveway before noon!  I always wanted to do that!  LOL

Two big TOADS!!!  My busted shoulder prevented me from properly holding them, but you get the point.

Unfortunately, the second and much bigger fish busted my aluminum shampoo when I thumped him on the noggin.

And the piece of crap gaff from cabelas was only held in there with a small squirt of glue...

Well, that's about it.  Thanks for reading and sorry it's a week late!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Tackle Busters (12/1)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 06:50:22 PM »
Nice yellows Tom 8)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 04:12:56 AM »
Oh hell yeah Tom..............just think what would have happened if you had the right tackle.  Hope your shoulder feels better soon.
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 06:30:33 AM »
Is the gaff OK other wise? Probably can epoxy it and maybe put a pin in it. Hook shaft looks a bit smooth to glue properly.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 11:26:46 AM »
Just pony up a little and have Len hook you up. He does them fancy gaffs with a Turks head knot. Looks like it was an awesome day! I can see why the young bucks rock hop all the way to the end of the jetty looking for YT!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 01:27:53 PM »
Is the gaff OK other wise? Probably can epoxy it and maybe put a pin in it. Hook shaft looks a bit smooth to glue properly.

I have a plan in my head what I want to do.  It'll be a hell of a bunch more stable!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 01:28:50 PM »
Just pony up a little and have Len hook you up. He does them fancy gaffs with a Turks head knot. Looks like it was an awesome day! I can see why the young bucks rock hop all the way to the end of the jetty looking for YT!

That might be what I do...

Thanks guys, those were some shallow water toads!

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 09:44:12 PM »
Thats a pleasant surprise, glad the busted tackle didn’t leave you out of the action!

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 07:33:10 AM »
That sounds fun Tom!  8)