Author Topic: 0 for 5  (Read 2312 times)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
0 for 5
« on: December 22, 2019, 03:05:13 AM »
Wanted to soak bait last night night so I made a couple phone calls, none of the regulars could make the call.  Decided to take a guy that I light rod with for his first shot at a toothy critter, so with him and my dad we headed out.  The conditions were stellar, lake like with no wind and zero salad.  Around 5:00 I saw his rod barely twitch and go slack, I told him to reel fast.  He came tight and only had it on for maybe 30 seconds, but his eyes were big as tennis balls.  I had reeled mine in when he hooked up, so I cast back out.  On the way back to the holder I feel the 'bump' and I hook up.  I had it on for about the same amount to time and handed him my rod, I wanted him to catch his first.  It made one jump and turned for Catalina, but once again.............boink.  After it got dark his rod once again barely dips half an inch, he started reeling until he felt it..........boink.  Twenty minutes later his rod bounces then bows over and starts screaming, he picks it up and within a few seconds it is gone.  Just before we called it at 7:00 (had to get my dad home) his rod snaps over like a bird hit the line, but then nothing.  He reeled it in to find the mac head shredded.  On the bright side there were no knot failures or lost rigs, plus he felt and saw his first soupfin.  Called someone on the way home and he suggested maybe I go to a smaller hook, I use Eagle Claw 13/0 inline circles.  I'm down to about 20 macs in the freezer, so I'm gonna take my father back to the pier and restock..................

« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 06:04:45 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: 0 for 5
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 05:01:14 AM »
Arrggghhh.

At least they are ready to play.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 04:06:04 PM »
Wow!  That's more surf action then I've heard in a while!  I can't wait until you start landing handfuls at a time!

Nicely done Verne!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 04:56:26 PM »
A tease of a session but always good to know they're still out there. Conditions are a toss up the next few days but your news of a lively session have me more willing to try something between catching up with friends in town.

I've got maybe 5 macks left, I really need the restock.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 09:42:18 PM »
Damn Verne!! You need to head back there ASAP! Those are some large circle hooks, but I don't think that's the problem. I prefer a J hook or am offset style hook. Once my line comes tight, I do a single hook set for good measure and that's it. Kind of hard to do with a circle hook. I have a feeling you'll be ringing in the new year in sharky style!!.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 06:04:03 AM »
Damn Verne!! You need to head back there ASAP!

Headed out this evening   ;)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect