Author Topic: Grocery Shopping (12/29)  (Read 1834 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Grocery Shopping (12/29)
« on: December 30, 2019, 04:21:57 PM »
Finally started to shake the Flu and needed to get the boat out at least once during my break.

I heard that the yellows were still biting and never left.  I went out to a fleet of boats, but never saw a single one hooked up.  I metered a few, but spent 3 hours trying for some bigger game to no avail.

I switched up to dropping the irons for rockfish instead and got my limit before the season closes on the first of Jan.  I did very well on the bass, but mostly all were 12-14 inch models.  I also caught Sand Bass 2:1 over the calico.

I was using some new irons that I got for Christmas and they worked so much better than the usual megabaits!

Browns

Multiple Treefish with some biggies!

I was passing clouds and clouds of sardine!  The bait boats were there purse seining for the bait receivers.

I kept my limit of bottom fish.  Not giants, but pretty decent quality for where I was fishing.

I also decided to keep some perch for the next time I go surf sharking!  All big Blacksmith and should make good bait.  After all, Jim would try them.  ;D

It went from rough first thing in the morning, to flat calm, to just ramping up again as I was coming in off the big pond.

No yellows, but was a fun morning trip to end the year out!

Thanks for reading.

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Grocery Shopping (12/29)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 05:40:14 PM »
I substitute saltwater panfish for freshwater panfish when catfishing.

Good you shook your flu. I'd take 2 flus over this sciatic pain that has me out of commission. Can barely walk at all and forget standing.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 06:22:46 PM »
Interesting to see the blacksmith ending up as bait, I don’t see them very often but perch is perch! Looks like a nice day.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 03:19:09 PM »
Nice haul Tom!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 06:30:22 AM »
Interesting to see the blacksmith ending up as bait, I don’t see them very often but perch is perch! Looks like a nice day.

I've used Blue Perch in the surf with a bunch of success.  Smelly bastards, but the sharks liked them.  It's worth a try for these Blacksmith at least.  I've caught big halibut which puked them out so I know they are edible!  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.