Author Topic: Saturday Night Bat Fight XIII  (Read 15585 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Saturday Night Bat Fight XIII
« on: January 23, 2020, 07:05:15 AM »

Saturday Night Bat Fight - XIII - Rules and Sign Ups

Well, we are on year 13 already and have continued to be a fun and successful event throughout the years.  This is a fun and free event that only has bragging rights at stake and great for anglers of all ages.  The rules will be the same as in years past and listed below.  Try your best to follow the rules which will make it easier deciding the winner.
This year’s event will take place on March 7th, 2020... rain or shine!

The Rules:

-The only fish that counts toward the ultimate winner is Myliobatis californica… aka the Bat Ray. All other species will only count as individual bragging rights.

-Widest wingspan measured over the top of the Ray (Taut Tape) with corresponding pictures. No loose or flat laying tape on the entire body and wings.  (loose tapes will be prone to losing some inches)

-CPR (Catch-Photograph-Release) only. No gaffs or landing tools that cause direct injury to the fish permitted.

- The main area for each county will be picked by the Team Captain and any satellite groups must make sure they post their results by the given time of 11:59pm on March 7th, 2020

-Shore Fishing Only from the Surf or Bay.  No kayaked baits, shore casting only.

-You can fish in any county you’d like, but the fish you catch will be recorded for the county you caught the fish in. (example: If you are from LA fishing in SD, the bat will count for SD).

-Start time for the event is very dependent on when you want to get out and fish. The opening gun will sound at 6:00am on the day of the tournament and will end at 11:59 that night. This is just the window of time that the tournament will count for any bat rays. This will allow people who work or have prior engagements to get out and participate in the event in a generous time window.

-Photos must be posted by no later than 11:59pm Saturday, March 7th. Any Photos posted later than that time will be disqualified from their entry. (So be VERY time conscience)

-This is a picture/honor system, please no fudging or cheating. A few times now, the winner won by a half an inch. This made for a great photo finish and great trash talking.

-Everyone is required to have a good time!

A clarification that came up during SNBFVIII and the most commonly asked questions are listed below.

•   No yakking baits out (or Drones)– This is a shoreline casting event.
The reason for this is to show off your casting skills and/or improve on them. SoCal Big Game shore fishing style.

•   No fishing off Piers, Bridges, Docks, Bulkheads, Jetties.  (Boat Ramps are OK as long as you are allowed to fish there and/or not impeding any boat traffic)
There are a few reasons for this, but the most important reasons are for YOUR Safety and the Bat Rays Safety.  Fishing the rocks during the day or at night for Mud Marlin is not a safe bet for you or the fish.  You can fish for them 364 days a year that way if you like, but on the Bat Fight, it’s all about safety  and all of these structures have a high danger limit to them when dealing with big gear, rods and fish.  It was never allowed in the past and will not be allowed in the future Bat Fights.

•   Buddy System – For many reasons, it must be on a buddy system.  There are going to be a bunch of satellite groups out there, but there must be two fishermen at every location.  Unless you have 4 arms to hold the tape taut over the bats back and take a picture… you need two people.  To keep ‘em honest and to add as another safety factor.

All of the rules are pretty straight forward and I will make them clearer in future events, but I wanted to clarify the ones that I am being asked the most… or at least being brought to my attention.

The summed-up History of the Bat Fight (work in progress and will continue to evolve into the full story): http://prehistoricsoul.com/forum/index.php?topic=8.0

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday Night Bat Fight XIII
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 01:26:47 PM »
Not sure if I'll be able to participate this year.
I have a work trip from the 2nd to the 7th and I don't know if I'll be home in time to fish.
Fingers crossed!!

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 07:48:13 AM »
Love this year’s logo! I plan on being there.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 05:27:38 PM »
Love this year’s logo! I plan on being there.

TNGC!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 07:45:00 PM »
I love the logo and look forward to it!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 06:31:39 AM »
I saw these last two months that another site is doing a "Bait Making Contest" in which they are trying for bat rays to use for shark bait.  It's been tough the last few years to catch any bigger models, so I'm not sure how this effect the local bite or not.  Just remember that the SNBF is a Catch and Release event, so harvested bat rays do not count for the biggest bat.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 11:00:50 AM »
I still wonder if all that dredging and moving sand, planting eel grass they did unsettled the bay and may have changed bat habits.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 11:26:26 AM »
I still wonder if all that dredging and moving sand, planting eel grass they did unsettled the bay and may have changed bat habits.

I agree.  It's probably a combination of everything going on the last few years that's accounting for this.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 02:24:02 PM »
That back bay (Fiesta Island) is fresh watered out. I'm hearing from several sources that it's dead back there and 2 other spots have been producing consistently.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 04:16:17 AM »
With things at home, it's tough making plans that far out.  Me and the boys will do our best to make it out............
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 02:11:56 PM »
Went to Turner's today and spooled up my Fathom 30 with 200yrds of 40Lb. Izorline, Looking forward to BF XIII 8) 8)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 02:21:18 PM »
Went to Turner's today and spooled up my Fathom 30 with 200yrds of 40Lb. Izorline, Looking forward to BF XIII 8) 8)

I'm assuming there's some braid backing on that reel?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 02:24:32 PM »
No backing

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 02:27:33 PM »
No backing

All you'll have on that reel is 200yds of 40?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 02:34:13 PM »
I believe it is rated for 250 of 40 lb