Author Topic: He's Back!!!! (1/23)  (Read 2690 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
He's Back!!!! (1/23)
« on: January 23, 2020, 09:20:16 PM »
So, after a ton of unsuccessful attempts to get out  after a crazy month, I pick a terrible day to get back out in the surf.  Magic Seaweed said 2-3 feet surf... I like to say they are usually a foot or two off, but they were about 3+ feet off today.  The surf was huge and pumping!  I drove up and down a few beaches, but decided to try a beach that Sasquatch and I were talking about for a few months.

I pinned on a whitefish head and cast into the 4-8' surf with the biggest sputniks I own.  Seriously 10 minutes after my cast and I had a totally shark hit!  By the time i grabbed the rod from the rod holder, it flopped off.... f@ck...

I pin a second on and it mysteriously disappears...

I switch to a Johnny Bass head and get picked up again!  This time I stick the bastard really good!

Up and down the surf as the current was grabbing it.  It felt like a huge one, but every time it surfaced, it looked a lot smaller than I was expecting.
The damn bastard found this mushroom shaped reef piece and wrapped onto it.  i tried to get it free, but it busted the line and I lost everything.

I retied the shock leader and rebaited with some of my last bonito.  I had a few hits, but nothing obvious.  A few hours went by when I saw my glow stick doing the electric boogie!  No drag peeling, but just the glow stick dancing back and forth over and over again!

My shoulder is killing me, so I took my time.  I was pretty sure I was going to lose it, but the big swells and surge subsided when i got it to shore!  This never happens, so i did what i could to beach it.  I took a picture right away in case it slipped my grip so I had my picture!

I started dragging it back to the gear and it twisted like a MoFo!  It bit itself and even bit my waders, but I think i might have escaped total damage.  It kicked my ass just trying to deal with the rod and shark with the bum shoulder.

It was 78 inches, female, incoming tide.  I think it was bigger than 78, but I was totally not prepared and way out of shape to deal with it and the big surf.  Bonito made it stick though!!!!

f@ck!  It feels so good to get this little girl!  I was starting to think the sharks were all going away!!!!
Thanks for reading!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: He's Back!!!! (1/23)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 11:30:37 PM »
Thanks for the play by play updates. It really did cheer me up.

Congrats on a streak starter.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 02:38:42 AM »
Oh yeah...............3 legit bites and one on the sand.  Hopefully things will start to pick up for us, we're gonna give it a go Sunday evening.  Stoked for you Tom
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 09:01:16 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 07:10:16 AM »
Nice work Tom!

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 02:33:38 PM »
What?! I thought those fish where all but extinct.  ;D Congrats!
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 03:21:13 PM »
Congrats Tom!  You were due!!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 03:01:06 PM »
Oh yeah...............3 legit bites and one on the sand.  Hopefully things will start to pick up for us, we're gonna give it a go Sunday evening.  Stoked for you Tom

What time you set up, Verne? I’ll be driving south from pismo Sunday.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 05:35:22 PM »

What time you set up, Verne? I’ll be driving south from pismo Sunday.

Sent you a PM
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 06:43:43 PM »
Great to see you get one! It’s hard enough as it is releasing 7s, I can’t imagine how it would be with that heavy of surf and a bad shoulder.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 08:40:02 AM »
Still waiting for a TV documentary about this sport, you and Squatch make a great team !

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 01:10:02 PM »
Ugh!!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)