Author Topic: And Just Like That... (2/11)  (Read 2707 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
And Just Like That... (2/11)
« on: February 12, 2020, 01:00:12 PM »
I had to drive my boat into the shop again to try and get the motor issue resolved if it's a total loss or have it revived back from the dead. With that, I had to work the later shift than the earlier shift.  I got some good news in that my motor is NOT seized, but there are issues to figure out and fix.  Currently, that is welcome news!

Back to the evening.  I didn't know how bad northbound traffic was at 6:00 since I am never driving in that direction at 6:00!  JEEZUS!!!!  It took me forever to get there!

I finally pull up to see Squatch's truck already parked, so he was out fishing.  As I was getting my waders on, he texts me a picture of a shredded line and a 75" female Soupie!  DAMN IT!  I rushed as fast as I could and didn't say a word to Steve until I could get a bait in the water.  Finally, it's fishing time! 

I had a few small bites and finally got one of the suckers trying to steal my bait.  I ended up with two for the evening.

Bites were really slow for a while there.  I finally busted out the last of my bonito.  I had 3 baits worth left... As I was watching the glow-stick, I noticed a big bob on the rod.  I should have been more patient, but I grabbed the rod out of the rod holder and felt the line loading up so set the hook!  I'm on!  About 5 seconds into his tail slapping run (and yelling to Squatch I'm on! I'm on!), the hook pulls.  Damn it!  0-1.  I think I saw Steve give a devious smirk in the dark since he was still one up on me.

I baited up immediately with the second piece of bonito and it wasn't long before the rod doubles over and the clicker starts screaming!  I'm on!!!  It was a heavy shark and I had the drag set perfectly.  I was ready to take my time with it when it all of a sudden ran towards to where the reef was starting.  I kept cool and just enjoyed the fight until it touched some reef and *SNIP*!!! Gone!  The line just cut like butter on the reef and I was now 0-2 and had to retie.  My shock leader was still there, but pretty sand papered.  I cut off some shock leader since I had some extra leader on it and crossed my fingers that I didn't do something stupid by not retying everything.

I re-rigged  and put the last piece of bonito on...  As I was talking to Squatch next to my rod, the rod tip twitched like a wave hit it.  I went to reel in some slack in the rod and the line was limp.  I started cranking faster and then caught up with it!  ShaRK ON!

It didn't seem so big at first and then it showed it's true nature...  It was big.   I couldn't stop it and decided to try and pendulum it to the beach by staying still and letting the fish and line move like the hands of a clock towards shore.  Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it away from the reef.  It worked, but also brought the shark about 300 yards down from our gear!  Big Boy!

I had to run down the beach and back to grab the pliers and tape since he had the hook too far inside the mouth for me or my hook remover.  Taped out at 100"!!!  It was a male, so it didn't have a lot of girth, but it was long!

Incoming/2'-4'/Bonito/100"

It felt great to get one landed after dropping the first two.

On the long walk back to the gear, I noticed what looked like pepperoni lining the high tide mark.  There must have been 500 pieces down a 300 yard stretch.  I think Squatch was sneaking a few as snacks every now and then, but can't prove it.   ;D

My only bait left was blacksmith perch, so pinned it on.  Nothing would touch it, not even the amphipods or lobster.  Steve's reeled in and his line was shredded!  He must have found some reef that tore up his line, so he called it quits.  I saw he had a beautiful mackerel head on his rig and I swiped it for one last cast to try and pick up a second one. He claimed it would be his if I caught it, but it never happened.

We called it quits and both left with a shark under our belts.  It was a good Tuesday Evening and hopefully the start of of some good surf shark fishing!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: And Just Like That... (2/11)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 01:07:14 PM »
Ya.. F#@& this drum set thing..I think it's time to get back on the sand.. VERY NICE!!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 02:13:35 PM »
Frick'n awesome guys, totally impressive.  Not sure what impresses me the most, a 100" sevengill or a 75" soupfin.  It was all I could to to hang onto a 69" soupie...........congrats      '       
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 02:14:25 PM »
Where's Steve's?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 02:41:04 PM »
Where's Steve's?
On his phone. I'll let him share it.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 07:49:07 AM »
Nice! And 100" too!