Author Topic: The Force Awakens (2/18)  (Read 2551 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
The Force Awakens (2/18)
« on: February 19, 2020, 06:35:51 AM »
Super tired because I got no sleep on Monday and knowing this was going to be another night with little sleep had me feeling pretty dreary.  Squatch needed some new line since his got shredded last time, so off I went after work doing the usual and checking on beaches to find where we were going to set our sand spikes.  I went to 4 beaches before finally going back to the first spot I checked.  I packed a Bonito for bait since it seems to be the bait that has been working the best as of late.

Steve showed up and it was still sort of light out when he got a huge hit.  Big Sevengill!  He fought it for about 10 minutes trying to keep it corralled in the sweet zone before... The hook pulled and Squatch yelled something in an ancient Bigfoot language that couldn't be repeated.

Not long after and BAM!  I'm hooked up! I get her out of the danger zone and just at the inside break after a 15-20 minute fight.  She was a HEFTY Sevengill as you could see her rolling and slapping the water just 10-yards out from the shore and she was one of the BIG models... WHEN.... The shock leader gave way and busted me off!  UGHHHHHH!!!  Not sure if it nicked the line on reef or just the constant tail slaps and rolling did it, but I had to re-rig.    It didn’t help that there was a small bar just outside a trough and the sharks were almost too fat to slide over them.  Now we are 0-2.

Next cast after re-tying my rig and I’m on again!  This one never went down, but slapped the surface the entire time.  Another big one!  Not as big as the first one I lost, but right up there.  Same dilio….  Fought him to the inside break about 10 yards out and… The hook pulls…. UGH
Nothing to do but rebait and get back out there.  This went on for the next hour…  Squatch had one and pulled the hook.  I had a bite, but it dropped it by the time I got to the rod. Our average was steadily dropping before I finally stuck a decent fish and Steve was able to get hands on him.

88” Male, Incoming, 3’-5’, bonito

We missed a few more hits and things seemed to be slowing down as we probably had a hook in all of the ones that were here at the moment.  We were a palsy 1 for 5 by this point on hooked sharks that really should have been landed.
Steve’s rod then finally throws his lightstick and he’s on…  I mean off.  He gives it a 5 minute rule before reeling in and rebaiting.  Next cast and it’s on again!  These damn things twist like no ones business and I had a hell of a time getting this little boy out of the bigger than expected surf.

66” Male, Hight Tide, Mackerel.

Things really quitted down and the tide started dropping.  We were both happy with one a piece and bummed we lost so many quality ones, but apparently there was one more in it for us!  I saw Steve’s rod dancing like crazy and he was on, I mean off, I mean on!  So weird.  Just then I went to clear my line when I noticed that I was on also!  Double header!!!!
Squatch then yells he lost his, but mine stayed attached.  Then he says “I think I know how much leader you lost”.  I’m just hoping I don’t lose another so didn’t think about what he said.  I got this one beached relatively easy as it was the smallest 7 of the night and Squatch got hands on it.

78”, Male, Bonito, Outgoing

I then realized what Steve was talking about.  Either we both had one or mine ran over his line and drug his line with my sinker as he reeled in my sinker and connecting line as it broke off from my 3-way!  I’ll take that sort of luck as our beginning luck wasn’t so good.
I pinned on my last piece of bonito and we set the 15 minute timer.  The bass and bait stealers started to show up and cleaned us out, so it was time to go. 
I swear we could have had 10 tonight, but many of you know how it goes.  These things are rolling and tackle busting critters that can make the heaviest of leaders break just with the slaps of their tail alone!

I’m sure I’m missing something and Squatch can chime in, but I’m exhausted sitting here at work right now and in a serious need for a nap or 10 cups of coffee.

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 06:53:18 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
Re: The Force Awakens (2/18)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 06:55:33 AM »
Yasssss! Congrats guys.  :)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 07:44:05 AM »
Awesome, stoked for both you guys.  We're gonna give it a shot tonight with my dad in tow.  After reading this, I'm going to take some YFT out of the freezer I was saving for the smoker and put it on a hook   ;)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 08:20:09 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 09:42:05 AM »
You may have found a mating party

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 09:57:32 AM »
Good night. Could have been better.

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 10:00:15 AM »
Epic night! Some good ones to make it worth the trip out and a couple near misses to make it worth the trip back! 

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 11:28:59 AM »
Good to see you both broke the skunk but all those break offs sounds hella frustrating.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 01:34:06 PM »
That's more action then then we have had all of the last three months on this site! Hope they stick around!
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)