Author Topic: Before the Lockdown 3/30/2020  (Read 3231 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Before the Lockdown 3/30/2020
« on: March 31, 2020, 11:42:52 AM »
 Had to get out. This virus thing is going to be worse before it gets better. Thankful I'm working at half time. Lots of folks aren't.

Met Tom for a night time ninja strike. Arrived after dark to avoid any human interaction. It worked, we only saw each other and a guy walking his dog. Seems reasonable as far as distancing goes.

Kind of hard to keep much of a conversation going with the surf noise so we just soaked baits and enjoyed the time out of the house.

Surf was small, tide was creeping upward and the salad was very manageable. Really a nice night to be out.

We both had a bite here and there. Critters mostly, though I did have a couple rod benders that looked good but didn't amount to anything.

I forgot my chair at home on the porch, Zoom happy hour with some friends. Kinda like a work meeting but with booze instead of coffee.

As I was taking the load off my feet, sitting in the sand, I see my rod go full bendo, clicker screaming. I jumped up, well, struggled to my feet, and grabbed the rod.

Took a bunch of line and stayed straight out, thought it was a bat. I had my drag set looser than normal for some reason, so I tightened it up and started to gain line.

I couldn't feel any tail slaps or head shakes, didn't see any jumping, so I resigned myself to fighting the bat ray to shore.

Finally it got close enough for Tom to grab it and it turned out to be a little 71" female soupie. Had 25 feet of leader wrapped around itself from head to tail. Probably why it fought weird. I don't know if it wrapped during the fight or at landing, but at least part of it must have been during the fight,

Didn't pose for pics, Tom took some action shots as I cut the leader from the fish. There was a fresh bite on the tail. Maybe something almost got it earlier.

Got the fish back in the water, but it took several tries to revive it. It eventually swam off, but I'm not super confident in its long term outlook. Maybe whatever bit it before will be back and finish the job.

We fished another hour or so and called it a night. Good to get out and feel like things are a little normal. Going to have to call in some beer for curbside pickup soon.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Before the Lockdown 3/30/2020
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 04:33:03 PM »
That felt great to finally get out.  Quite a good job if I say so myself as I don't think we got within 12' of each other at the closest.  It was tough talking over the waves though.
Congrats Steve!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 04:45:16 PM »
Had to get out. This virus thing is going to be worse before it gets better. Thankful I'm working at half time. Lots of folks aren't.

Met Tom for a night time ninja strike. Arrived after dark to avoid any human interaction. It worked, we only saw each other and a guy walking his dog. Seems reasonable as far as distancing goes.

Kind of hard to keep much of a conversation going with the surf noise so we just soaked baits and enjoyed the time out of the house.

Surf was small, tide was creeping upward and the salad was very manageable. Really a nice night to be out.

We both had a bite here and there. Critters mostly, though I did have a couple rod benders that looked good but didn't amount to anything.

I forgot my chair at home on the porch, Zoom happy hour with some friends. Kinda like a work meeting but with booze instead of coffee.

As I was taking the load off my feet, sitting in the sand, I see my rod go full bendo, clicker screaming. I jumped up, well, struggled to my feet, and grabbed the rod.

Took a bunch of line and stayed straight out, thought it was a bat. I had my drag set looser than normal for some reason, so I tightened it up and started to gain line.

I couldn't feel any tail slaps or head shakes, didn't see any jumping, so I resigned myself to fighting the bat ray to shore.

Finally it got close enough for Tom to grab it and it turned out to be a little 71" female soupie. Had 25 feet of leader wrapped around itself from head to tail. Probably why it fought weird. I don't know if it wrapped during the fight or at landing, but at least part of it must have been during the fight,

Didn't pose for pics, Tom took some action shots as I cut the leader from the fish. There was a fresh bite on the tail. Maybe something almost got it earlier.

Got the fish back in the water, but it took several tries to revive it. It eventually swam off, but I'm not super confident in its long term outlook. Maybe whatever bit it before will be back and finish the job.

We fished another hour or so and called it a night. Good to get out and feel like things are a little normal. Going to have to call in some beer for curbside pickup soon.

Congrats, on a nice Soup!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 05:00:05 AM »
Zoom happy hour with some friends. Kinda like a work meeting but with booze instead of coffee.

Sounds like you're making the best of this thing Steve, and congrats on a nice soupie.  We're still debating a Thursday evening run north, can't get a straight story on what is going on up in Ventura.
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 07:53:17 AM »
Congrats, on the social distancing shark. Phones or walkie talkies will solve the beach communication issue.  ;) I’ve had some near misses with the toothy critters as of late. Hopefully, spring will bring some more of them with in range. Stay healthy out there!
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)