Author Topic: Pre-Work Session (5/13)  (Read 1561 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Pre-Work Session (5/13)
« on: May 15, 2020, 08:30:48 AM »
I heard of a lot of strong winds and small craft during the week on the VHF radio weather channel, but needed to get to work still.  I decided to do a quick early session in the SD bay looking for a legal halibut.

I got there and was on the water at 6:00 am sharp.

I didn't pull out the clicker because I didn't want to be mentally swayed into checking out my counts and raising them when I was targeting bigger quarry.  I was throwing topwater, Big 5-6" MC viejo swimbaits, Underspins, regular swimbaits, LC's.... everything caught bass.  I was even catching spotties in 35' of water!

I hit channels, drop offs, backsides of table tops.. and probably had 3 halibut hits in which only one I'm really sure of.

It was basically fairly windy at 6 am, and only got windier throughout the day.

Non-stop action

I'd say 25 of the bass puked up perfect razor clams.

Probably needed a good incoming tide and not the outgoing that I was working.  I did have one real hit in where my blade just hit the water and went screaming out like a 10# bonito hit it.  Not sure if it was bonito, mullet, corvina or some surface critter, but after a 2 second high speed scream of the reel and it busted mt line and took my blade.  Lots of giant mullet around and Phong fair caught one last week, so I'm not ruling out snagging or possibly hooking a big mullet for how fast that thing tore line off.

Oh well, but the boat was on the trailer at 10:15.

Low tide

A heron had a round ray and the ray was alive trying to stick it.  It made for some fun watching for a few minutes there as he kept dropping and impaling it.

That was it.  At work by 1:00 until my day was done!

Thanks for reading and stay safe!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-Work Session (5/13)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 03:36:45 AM »
Halibut or not, looks like a nice way to spend the morning.  I'm taking by the last two reports you got your engine problems ironed out? 
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-Work Session (5/13)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 08:36:16 AM »
Halibut or not, looks like a nice way to spend the morning.  I'm taking by the last two reports you got your engine problems ironed out?

Yep, I asked them to change the thermostat and they said they never seen a thermostat fail on a motor with such few hours.  Well, they changed it out and they found a broken and corroded thermostat.  Runs great now!  Only thing is the bilge pumps not working now.  Time to get that fixed.  lol

Stay safe Verne.  I hope all is well with you and your family.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.