Author Topic: Mid-Week Exploration (5/27)  (Read 1398 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Mid-Week Exploration (5/27)
« on: May 28, 2020, 04:41:04 PM »
I'm pretty much working 7 days a week now unless I make some time to get out.  My buddies have gotten popped fishing from shore a few times already, so that leaves just boat fishing for me.

I get to the boat ramp without a single vehicle in the parking lot!  It was almost eerie!

Lots of "single" strokers out there which made for tough navigating through the swarm of them, but stopped to make bait.  My main goal is to hunt for Yellowtail and Bonito!  I know they'ver been catching them here recently, but decided I was going to explore and hunt bigger game rather then just bass fishing.

I caught some nice mackerel

...and tossed out a swimbait.  It got rocked on the drop and was on the board with a nice checker!

I decided I was going to go and do what I planned on doing and left. 

Water was ugly green to poop brown in spots.  I trolled live macks all around LJ... Then drifted with a fly line mack and deep drop mack for not even a sniff, until the sea lion came by and plucked them off my hooks.  No birds, No bait.... so I ran to the squid grounds and couldn't find any squid home.  I hit a few spots for a bass here and there as well as a rockfish or two along the way, but it was very slow.

I finally went back to where I started and got a much better bite and a slow pick of 2.5-3.5# bass.

Toad of a Treefish!

I kept a few fish for dinner and called it the day. 

Back on the trailer by 1:00 and not a soul in Seaworld.

Big Treefish

A few boats off in the distance did well, but that was about it.  Most boats stunk it up while listening to the radio chatter.

Thanks for reading.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Mid-Week Exploration (5/27)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 08:33:05 PM »
Nice solo trip, it's weird going by Sea World and seeing no activity