Author Topic: Finally Broke Some Cherries (7/2)  (Read 1576 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Finally Broke Some Cherries (7/2)
« on: July 03, 2020, 09:27:56 AM »
Too nice of a day not to go fishing, but too close to the holiday weekend knowing all the Googans are out and about.  Mygoal was to put some new tackle rigging knowledge to the test and catch me some halibut!  Too many lost fish this year and I still needed to break the cheery on my bigger gaff.

I Bounce Balled for miles and finally needed to switch things up and get some fish under my belt.  It was pretty spectacular bass and rock fishing.

Tasty Johnny Bass

Caught 3 sand bass

3 vermillions

I caught a monster treefish, but she was spewing eggs, so I let her go to make more babies!

and 10 Calico.  I even tried catching a lingcod by casting a big 6 oz lead head on a 10" grub and still got slammed by a couple of nicer grade bass.  Biggest one was 21".

Many of the bass were puking these guys up...  I saved a few of the "freshly" eaten ones for catfish baits.  I need to find a way to catch me up a mess of shrimp....

I started bounce balling again and watched my rod go all bouncy and then heavy.  Finally got this 10# butt up to gaff and broke the cherry on the gaff!

First legal halibut of 2020 for me!  Not long after resetting the rig, I was on again and it felt much better quality.  Half-way up and it pulls the hook... ugh...  Oh well, I tried circles in that area for a bit and started a long troll home.  Not a single bite except the very end when my rod loaded up and it was heavy on the end.  I didn't feel a fight, but I was hoping I would slide it up to gaff without realizing.  That is until I realized it was a HUGE kelp stringer.  hahahaha

I kept a few for dinner and released the rest.  The halibut wouldn't fit in this picture.   ;D

Oh well, I called it the day and ran back to the ramp.  Just as I expected, it was a nightmare in the bay and only Thursday.  Idiots abound everywhere.....

Have a happy and fun safe 4th of July everyone!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Finally Broke Some Cherries (7/2)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 06:02:21 PM »
I wanted to go on the 2nd also, plans didn't allow it >:( You scored some nice fish 8) 8) The big sh!t show will be Saturday for sure ::)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
Re: Finally Broke Some Cherries (7/2)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 07:48:03 PM »
Nice haul! The Hali was the cherry on top of a great trip.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)