Author Topic: First shark from the rocks  (Read 3346 times)

Greenshark

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
First shark from the rocks
« on: July 23, 2020, 03:02:39 PM »
Went to the local jetty to meet up with a buddy after work. Wasn’t even planning on bringing the long rod because landing a big critter from the jetty sounds terrible, but my buddy said he walked a leo to the beach from there a few days earlier so i thought what the heck. Started out with light rod just a c-rig with a #4 circle and a little shrimp. Broke off 4 times in about 20 min. Got frustrated and set up the long rod. Threw out a whole mackerel and went to retie the light setup. Not even two minutes go by and bendo!!! The reel is screaming and luckily it is heading straight out! tighten the drag just a bit to make sure the circle hook is nice and tight. While i’m trying to turn her north I got a few jumps First was just a head slap couldn’t tell forsure what it was but a few seconds later full breach and it was all silver!! I loosen the drag and let her keep running north with my rod held high and try and make way down the rocks to the beach. Got her to the beach fairly quick after that taped at 68” got a few pics and sent her on her way! Pretty hectic running down the rocks but fun. Got my pb shovelnose after that no measure but got some pictures such cool fish! Stoked to get on big one finally! Once again can’t seem to get the pics but i’ll post the links. Thanks for reading!

Greenshark

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Re: First shark from the rocks
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 03:08:24 PM »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 04:01:24 PM »
In the daytime too. Nice.

Congrats.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 07:42:11 PM »
Wow! Great report and great pics! Congrats boss! I'll get that up on the list this weekend!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 02:22:43 AM »
Awesome..............stoked for you.  We're gonna give it a shot this morning   ;)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 05:05:17 AM »
Awesome fish! Great job getting them to the beach to land them.
I wish I had tried that with a yellowtail I hooked way back during the El Nino.

-Keith

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 07:54:05 AM »
Congrats! Here's your pics without the album link.

Greenshark

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 08:21:24 AM »
Thanks ben! how are you getting them up from the link?

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 04:11:53 PM »
Went to the local jetty to meet up with a buddy after work. Wasn’t even planning on bringing the long rod because landing a big critter from the jetty sounds terrible, but my buddy said he walked a leo to the beach from there a few days earlier so i thought what the heck. Started out with light rod just a c-rig with a #4 circle and a little shrimp. Broke off 4 times in about 20 min. Got frustrated and set up the long rod. Threw out a whole mackerel and went to retie the light setup. Not even two minutes go by and bendo!!! The reel is screaming and luckily it is heading straight out! tighten the drag just a bit to make sure the circle hook is nice and tight. While i’m trying to turn her north I got a few jumps First was just a head slap couldn’t tell forsure what it was but a few seconds later full breach and it was all silver!! I loosen the drag and let her keep running north with my rod held high and try and make way down the rocks to the beach. Got her to the beach fairly quick after that taped at 68” got a few pics and sent her on her way! Pretty hectic running down the rocks but fun. Got my pb shovelnose after that no measure but got some pictures such cool fish! Stoked to get on big one finally! Once again can’t seem to get the pics but i’ll post the links. Thanks for reading!

Congrats! Really nice fish!

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 10:42:31 PM »
Congrats on landing that fish!
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 09:09:59 AM »
Thanks ben! how are you getting them up from the link?

Click on one of the pics from your link and then keep right clicking on it until you can choose "Copy image address". Copy and paste that between the img and /img with square brackets (insert image button when writing a post here).