Author Topic: 7/26 & 8/2 La Jolla AM  (Read 1983 times)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
7/26 & 8/2 La Jolla AM
« on: August 02, 2020, 04:11:18 PM »
7/26: NW winds. Miserable.

8/2: SW winds. Miserable.

In 4 outings I'm 0-9 on hook ups.  :-[  They've dog boned every mack of every size and I've even given them a 20 count. Curse of the rubber hook!

Can't wait til December when the weather warms up.   ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: 7/26 & 8/2 La Jolla AM
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 10:32:44 AM »
7/26: NW winds. Miserable.

8/2: SW winds. Miserable.

In 4 outings I'm 0-9 on hook ups.  :-[  They've dog boned every mack of every size and I've even given them a 20 count. Curse of the rubber hook!

I didn't take my boat out the last week because of that.  I realize it's no kayak, but a flats boat only stays above the waterline about the same.  I saw the marine forecast and hit the big old "Nope" button.

Well, I hear you with rubber hooks.  I felt like that was all I was using for a while there until the tide swung in my favor.  Well, it threw me a few bones, but I'm still a master farmer apparently.

0-9 though... sheesh.... Burn some sage over the kayak!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: 7/26 & 8/2 La Jolla AM
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 01:56:14 PM »
Even the boats with more freeboard boogied out when the winds kicked up.

I do come home with the consolation prize. Tons of whitefish on bait. Bigger cod on the jigs. Fast drift makes it a chore but it beats a total skunk.

Still plenty of action on bass despite the water temps. They get quite pesky as they will gobble down the smaller spanish macks if I drag one in shallower waters. They must recognize my hull by now as it means a free meal and a quick release.