Author Topic: New Mummy Project  (Read 1556 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
New Mummy Project
« on: August 10, 2020, 06:08:29 AM »
Starting this one from scratch instead of a salted head in a bag so I did what I thought should be done to prep it.

Started by removing excess flesh and debating what parts I still wanted on there.

Grabbed one of my prosector/necropsy kits and removed unwanted materials including the eye balls.  Damn things were as big as human eyes! 
(I was going back and forth on the eyes, but think I'm going to make some custom glass eyes for it to give it a creepier appearance.

Head and jaws are propped.

Eye sockets are bluer then the meat in this thing!  So weird!

I coated in pickling salt and froze with mouth open before I send it into it's bed of Borax/Soda/and Salt mixture for desiccation.  I think this one is going to look pretty bad ass!  It's a little big though, so I'll need to find room for it when all said and done.  I'm guessing it will be 2 months until completion since there is not a lot of tissue on it except for the brains and cheeks.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: New Mummy Project
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 08:26:56 AM »
Right on!  Can't wait to see it!  8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: New Mummy Project
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 04:54:35 PM »
Whoops, I'm a little behind on this one.

Pulling it out of the desiccate.

Slowly Unveiling...

Stubborn Eye Sockets...

Nice and clean.  Ready for PolyAcrylic....

Coated and not a sign of blue anywhere....

Has a slight smell still after 90 days in the desiccates.  Lingcod heads are much different then the piranha's, but should go away.  I probably should have done one more desiccate change out and left it for another few weeks.  The head literally shrunk about 25% which is weird.  I guess I'm a real head shrinker.

Added some life to him from an extra set of glass taxidermy eyes I had laying around.

Head distorted a little also, but will make for a great outdoor bar decoration!

Thanks for following along!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.