Author Topic: 8/30 La Jolla AM  (Read 2118 times)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
8/30 La Jolla AM
« on: August 30, 2020, 10:30:27 PM »
Up at 0400. Enjoyed my usual coffee and oatmeal before loading up. Easy drive down to the beach and on the sand by graylight.

Set waves breaking at about ankle high. Had a school of spotfin crusing by my feet and under the bow of my kayak as I drug it out before hopping in. I'm convinced they know they're in the reserve. Way too much swagger in their swim.

Massive temp drop to 64° this morning which set the bar for expectations for the day. Crap luck making bait. Only scored 1 greenback and one spanish. Plenty on the meter but lockjawed... at least for what I was offering.

Very uneventful morning all around. Current fell into a short lull. Did have birds going nuts for a few minutes. Looked like a school of smaller sized sardines pushed up to feed. Nothing underneath as the floatilla tried casting everything at it from all sides for nada.

No signs of yellows, bonito, or cudas. Calicos were being shy as well. Tons of bait though. Gave up dragging live ones and cut em up to load up on fish taco meat instead. Had to hit up deeper spots to find them. They only wanted cut bait, little love for the metal. The small white fish have been on me like flies on dung all summer. Had one cough up octopus tenticles and the rest small anchovy and what look liked market shrimp. At least they're eating good.

Easy paddle back. Easier landing. 67° SST at noon. Cruised right over a decent sized leopard in about 6ft. Should of snorkled today insead. Smoked 2 racks of St. Louis ribs and had a sip of some fruited up Kirkland sangria. Washed it all down with some Lagunitas.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: 8/30 La Jolla AM
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 05:38:05 AM »
64???  That's depressing.  I was digging those upper 70's temps. 

I have to say thanks, as my shoulder was torn up and I decided not to take the boat out this weekend.  I felt like kicking myself, but now hearing this, it just made me feel better about the decision.  Unfortunately, the rest didn't help the shoulder, but it also didn't make it worse I guess.  They need to bring back all the good opioids... only thing that helps with this pain besides going under the knife.

The rest of your day sounds fantastic!  That Lagunitas probably washed those white "flies" right down just right.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 08:23:58 PM »
I miss when they put meth in my theraflu. More got done when I was sick than when I was healthy.

Frustrating summer on chasing big game. Hoping for an awesome fall. Heal up fast!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 04:09:16 AM »
I miss when they put meth in my theraflu. More got done when I was sick than when I was healthy.

;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect