Author Topic: prickly sculpin and tule perch  (Read 3421 times)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
prickly sculpin and tule perch
« on: September 01, 2020, 12:12:41 PM »
I haven't been able to kayak the past month because of a wrist issue. It's been a while since I caught a new species, so I did a mini road trip up to Big Bear and Lake Gregory to catch some easy ones. Added prickly sculpin and tule perch to my lifelist.

Prickly sculpin (+1) and green sunfish from Big Bear.

Tule perch (+1) from Gregory.

And then a bonus LMB from the Santa Ana River. Was hoping to see some arroyo chubs since I haven't caught any in a few years, but all I saw were bass.

Since I'm already writing this post, last weekend I checked out a ditch off the Sweetwater River because I heard there were sailfin mollies living down there. Sure enough I saw loads of them, but I couldn't get one to bite. I took some underwater photos so at least I have proof they're there.

Bycatch were California killifish, topsmelt, and chameleon goby. There were tons of round rays too, but I avoided them.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: prickly sculpin and tule perch
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 08:12:10 PM »
The fact that someone who has intel on sailfin mollies even exists blows my mind.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 06:32:13 AM »
Damn Ben!  I can't believe all of the small exotic fish are making me jealous right now!

That Chameleon Goby is bad ass and I'm right with Len.  I heard of the Sailfin Mollies being around, but that is so cool that you got pictures of them!  Bravo sir!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 06:33:43 AM »
Oh, and the Tule perch!  If I get my shoulder surgically fixed, I'll have to resort to some light line species hunting I guess.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 04:04:32 AM »
As always............great pictures.  I hope your wrist gets better soon, missing your kayak reports.
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 03:06:12 PM »
That tule perch looks sick, as does the chameleon goby. Nice job on the new species. You're giving me ideas for some day trips.

Whoa whoa whoa, I read your blog. Tule perch are a freshwater surfperch???? That's a weird way to say it, but I was tripping on how different individuals have similar shape to calico surfperch or kelp perch.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 03:27:35 PM by jrodda »