Author Topic: 9/27 La Jolla AM  (Read 2648 times)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
9/27 La Jolla AM
« on: September 27, 2020, 08:59:20 PM »
On the sand, or should I say seaweed, at 0 dark 45. Launched thru knee high breakers and met graylight at the bait grounds.

68° SST West of the line. Light breeze and minimal surface texture. Eel grass and chopped kelp plagued the Cove. Barely any surface life, not much on the meter, and an eerie silence among the crowd. The slack high tide at the 8 o'clock hour made things even more lifeless. Took an eternity to make a few pieces of bait... for me at least.

A couple flurries of bonito made a showing as the sun started breaking thru the clouds. I chucked the iron at a few boilers but couldnt get one to stick to save my life. On the other hand reeling up clumps of weeds were no problem. Having had enough I made a beeline over to deeper waters in search of a whitefish or 10.

Worked a few rockpiles out in cleaner waters for nothing but dinks. Current would push North one drift then East the next. Then the wind would push North or East every now and then. Kind of frustrating but comical at the same time.

Paddled over to a bigger rocky area and started my drift right smack dab in the middle. Set out my sliding sinker rig with an injured greenback and set it in the rod holder. As I was harassing the local whitefish nursery with the bass rod my sliding sinker rig makes a run for it. I let the circle hook do it's thing, clear the other line, then get to work.

Killer fight this time. Strong runs, heavy kicks, and it did it's best bluefin impression 50ft down. Absolute stubborness. Played tug of war right at that depth for a few rounds. Glanced at the meter for a sec... followers everywhere! There were times I felt my line get bumped and this might of explained it.

Being careful I finally wore it down and worked it to the surface. Neck shot with the gaff ( failed head shot ) and dragged it aboard. Complete cooperation this time no fighting back. Just layed still before bleeding and placing below decks. Ran the leader thru my fingers and yup not so smooth or slick. Fluoro, gotta love it's strength even with a few bumps and bruises.

First Fall 2020 mossback at the top of the first right after the first Summer 2020 mossback in the bottom of the ninth. Was frustrating but now comical. Total surprise after such a dead morning. This one went exactly 3 pounds heavier than last week's bounty but 3 times the fight. Of course no kelp paddy to muffle it's motor.

More sashimi and smoked collars this week. Maybe a pork butt if there's any shoyu left.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: 9/27 La Jolla AM
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 05:25:16 AM »
Damn.... This makes me want to take a sick day and look for whitefish now!

Bravo sir.... bravo!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 10:28:50 AM »
Congrats!! Damn, I need to get back out there!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 10:40:41 AM »
Dues are paid up it seems. Now reap the benefits.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 01:07:03 PM »
Forgot to mention some shark dope. Had a Scampi get bit off. Took the jig and 12" of my 18" leader. Quick tug clean cut line. Other guys getting their bottom rigs taken by soupfins. And the leopards have taken over the shallows at the launch. Might dig out the mask and fins soon.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 01:39:49 PM »
Thanks for the intel Len! Last time the soupies invaded LJ, I went on a big BSB and Yellowtail run.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.