Author Topic: 10/4 La Jolla AM  (Read 2665 times)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
10/4 La Jolla AM
« on: October 04, 2020, 10:16:07 PM »
With the sun rising later and later I thought I could take my time and savor my breakfast this morning. Wrong. Had to eliminate an ant invasion in the kitchen. Cleared that out, poured my coffee, loaded up and left with a head start on the death toll.

On the sand at graylight. Easy launch. 67° SST on the screen. Minimal surface texture. Barely a breeze. Like last week the current wasn't quite sure which way it wanted to push. Must be all the new bouys in the water blocking the flow.

Slow pickens on spanish macks. Couldn't find a greenback that wanted to play. After making bait the sun lit up the horizon and the water went grease calm. You could see bonito puddling a mile away. Unforunately they were few and far between and nothing of size to be excited about.

Worked inside the NW Corner all morning making note of all the newly marked structure. Had one small take down on the bait rod all morning. Weak run and dropped it. No idea what it was.

Around noon ventured out to deeper water to get away from the bass harassment. Out deep the bigger bonito were spread out and on the move. Dink reds on the bottom. A couple scuplin fell for the homemade skirted jig. Zero signs of yellows. Current picked up and started pushing South in a hurry. Decided to drag my offerings back to the Cove

Back in front of the Condo. Conditions looking more favorable. SST now 72° and the current isn't so bad. Stuck around and made a few drifts. Greenbacks everywhere. Bass left me alone for once. Had the bait rod make a screaming run. Got the hook set, went for a short sleigh ride, then got rocked. Retie and sent one more down but got snagged shortly after. Oh well. I was already short on time but now defintely out of time. Looked like it might have been building up to be a decent evening bite as the bird action was just about starting up.

Broke a streak today. No whitefish. About dang time. I did catch one of those kids water blaster toys out in the middle of nowhere. It makes a great "deck hose" as I learned today. Found at least 2 new ant colonies I get to destroy this week. This summer has been bad for ants. A lot of neighbors sharing the same battle. Maybe all the new yard projects shaking up the ground?

Smokin' pork belly burnt ends tomorrow and I'm not trimming any fat. Extra butter and brown sugar.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: 10/4 La Jolla AM
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 03:26:34 AM »
I did catch one of those kids water blaster toys out in the middle of nowhere. It makes a great "deck hose" as I learned today.

That makes the day a success   ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: 10/4 La Jolla AM
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 06:15:24 AM »
Smokin' pork belly burnt ends tomorrow and I'm not trimming any fat. Extra butter and brown sugar.
hahahaha, well done!  The inshore sleigh ride has prompted me to give an old AO a shot.

I'm loving your kayak reports Len.  It makes for a great read with my morning coffee, just like the newspaper when that was a thing.   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.