Author Topic: Limping In Fog (10/16)  (Read 2474 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Limping In Fog (10/16)
« on: October 18, 2020, 07:55:08 AM »
The shop couldn't find any problems with the motor and the computer said nothing was wrong....  Seems like a broken record from the last time I had a motor problem and took it in 5 times before they found and fixed it.

I took it out for a test run on Friday and it almost immediately started to do the same thing.  This time in Fog Soup with less then a 25 yard visibility.  I was so internally pissed that I kept going as to try and catch something even if it was only outside the inlet.  I came across the two floating barrels which just meant that there was some heavy equipment out in the inlet like the last time the crane was there fixing the north jetty.  Well, they were there again and fixing the South Jetty and it was damn scary getting out of the inlet with half of it closed in that pea soup!  I made it out of the inlet and got to a little rockpile before deploying the trolling motor.  Well, the trolling motor wasn't working and when I looked below deck, I saw that one of the wires corroded off.  ~sigh~

I wasn't going back in until the fog lifted because with every fool leaving in half the inlet in that fog, I was sure a dead man floating trying to go against the morning flow out.  I basically dropped a small iron and caught a dozen bass and 8 or 9 rockfish.  The fog lifted and I had to limp in again.  I barely made it back to the ramp....   
Once home, I had to unload the entire boat and bring it back into the shop.

At least I got some dinner out of it while trying to stay positive. 

« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 01:07:33 PM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Limping In Fog (10/16)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 09:10:29 AM »
Well, at least you got out there and got some.
I hear your pain about the motor. I maintain my families cars and even with the computers used they can be hard to diagnose.
But I'm the same as you, very suspicious when it's not running right and they say they can't find anything wrong with it.  :-\

-Keith

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 02:41:15 AM »
Bummed for you Tom    :(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 05:18:58 AM »
So this is the second time they can't find or generate the quite apparent problem of my motor while under load.  I called them up to see when the boat will be done and they replied "We're going to take it to the lake next week to try and replicate the problem".  Apparently they couldn't get it to do it at the shop and just ran my motor intermittently since Friday when I dropped it back off.  They guy is taking a few days off, so it has to be next week.  I'm guessing he's the only one who works there. 

I'm just ranting since it's been in the shop twice this year for serious issues, yet mechanically mysterious to the people working on them.  They are super nice guys, but It's been a rough few weeks for me and I was looking to get out on the boat to try and let the bad vibes just disappear into the Pacific.  I'll have to try and get some stuff accomplished around the house instead to free up some future fishing time.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 05:47:43 AM »
Ugh.

Go on the half day with Dave and Roger. That should be relaxing. Lol.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 06:23:59 AM »
Ugh.

Go on the half day with Dave and Roger. That should be relaxing. Lol.

I was invited on a day and a half trip from someone at work.... and reluctantly passed it up.  He was stunned, and so was I.... ~sigh~

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 08:56:11 PM »
Everyone says the Mercs are bullet proof and super reliable, hope they  get it figured out for you. It's hard to picture you boatless :-\

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 12:48:52 PM »
Nice load of fish though. Good luck with the mechanic.