Author Topic: 10/18 La Jolla AM  (Read 3362 times)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
10/18 La Jolla AM
« on: October 18, 2020, 09:32:00 PM »
Up and out the door at darkness. Foggy drive and extra thick west of the college. Couldn't see more than 2 car lengths going down the hill.

Cool and misty launch at Lake Pacific. Took advantage and hugged the shoreline as I made my way to the pier. Massive mini mack and sardine schools made for easy pickens and tangled halfbikis. Full tank at graylight and by then the fog ceiling lifted just enough to navigate as normal.

70° SST with a slight breeze to start the hunt. Bonito flurries here and there. Birds circling but staying high. Tested a new battery and harness set up for the fish finder and it was working flawlessly. Satisfied enough I'll be doing the same set up for the newer kayak and sonar.

Conditions looked epic except the fish weren't really on the chew. Saw a smaller whale at the kelp line go completely airborn several times and making a show for the crowd. No signs of yellows, should of been there yesterday kind of deal. Went to test a new jig in deeper waters.

Got to deeper waters and dropped the new jig into the abyss. It never made it back up. Had a quick tug then nothing. Reeled up and saw a clean slice through the braid. So much for that.

Dropped mini macks instead and loaded up on a couple bigger grade rockfish while getting raked from the ambitious dinks. Later on I slabbed up used macks and pulled up some bigger grade whitefish. About time! Topped off the limit with an assortment of bottom dwellers. Bait was the name of the game. They must be keened in on it from all the lobster chum. Had crap luck fishing deep on the metal.

Breeze died as the clouds burned off then it got hot. Screen reading 72° now. I headed in for the Cove bite that's been consistent when it warms up. Like clockwork things started to look more alive. Smaller bonito mixed in with bigger greenbacks. Bass on the chew closer in. Hooked a bigger greenback and as I got it to color saw a rat yellow barely twice the size start charging at it and trying to steal the jig. I let the mack hang and the rat stuck around for about a minute before giving up and leaving. Stayed around looking for mama but it wasn't long before the cattle boat stormed in and brought the circus.

Absolute flat surf landing. Got to the 4Runner and noticed I left my loading straps on the roof. Surprised no one touched them. Same neighborhood someone stole my "feetwater" out of the bed of my old truck while I was out surfing.   :D Did find out I somehow damaged my kayak cart and was fortunate a wheel didn't slip off. Easy fix.

Dropped the kid off at sportsball and swung by Phil's to try their Oktoberfest Special bratwurst sandwich with bacon kraut. That definitely hit the spot should of ordered 2. Will try to mimic that on the grill one of these days.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: 10/18 La Jolla AM
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 05:28:11 AM »
...and pulled up some bigger grade whitefish. About time! Topped off the limit with an assortment of bottom dwellers. Bait was the name of the game.

Things are back to normal!  hahaha   Do you think a Soupie grabbed the iron?

Great read Len!  I was out Friday and that fog was crazy thick!  I just hope my mysterious motor issues are resolved this trip to the shop.  My only mental reprieve I can get is the boat and with that not working, I might have to rely on a steady IV drip of tequila to keep me sane.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 08:57:52 AM »
...and pulled up some bigger grade whitefish. About time! Topped off the limit with an assortment of bottom dwellers. Bait was the name of the game.

Things are back to normal!  hahaha   Do you think a Soupie grabbed the iron?

Great read Len!  I was out Friday and that fog was crazy thick!  I just hope my mysterious motor issues are resolved this trip to the shop.  My only mental reprieve I can get is the boat and with that not working, I might have to rely on a steady IV drip of tequila to keep me sane.

Getting sharked was my first thought. Right time of year and same sensation as many times before. I hear you, getting on the water is my Sabbath Day. Hope the 2nd look at the motor gets it fixed this time.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 04:20:21 AM »
I really enjoy your write ups, thanks for sharing
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect