Author Topic: new hobby  (Read 1116 times)

YOLO YEAH

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
new hobby
« on: November 02, 2020, 07:40:28 PM »
any recommended start-up kit for a newbie? i wanted to prepare one set in my HOUSE

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: new hobby
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 02:15:34 PM »
any recommended start-up kit for a newbie? i wanted to prepare one set in my HOUSE

Question, are you a conventional or spinning reel guy?  For a typical starter spinner, you can go with a 12+' OceanMaster combo that will take care of a good amount of the sharks/rays/bass on the board.  Could have some issues with the bigger models though.  If you can cast a conventional really well, then use Paddy's breakdown of the common rods you can find in most catalogues or stores.

http://prehistoricsoul.com/forum/index.php?topic=1074.0

As reels go, a 40 size reel like the Penn Fathom (or Squall will work for the budget minded).  The Shimano Torium is another really good reel.  In general, we like the star drags so we could adjust on the fly.  Unfortunately, I don't know of any combos that are pre-set up for this style.  You might be able to get a used "Red Drum/Striper" surf rod online somewhere which are pretty much the same rods we use, except instead of a 20# reel like they use for the drum, you might look into a 30 or 40 size depending on your skill set with those reels.

Looking forward to seeing what you pick up and what you catch on it!  Welcome aboard!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.