Author Topic: 12/6 La Jolla AM  (Read 3614 times)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
12/6 La Jolla AM
« on: December 06, 2020, 06:42:45 PM »
Took a short 2 week hiatus. Sold the Prowler 13T. Had a minor muscle tear on my left erector which is where I had a major tear last year. Had another back pop during the first rehab session. Then went out of town for Thanksgiving for some much needed rest and relaxation. Came back to welcome home a new reverse hyper machine to the garage gym. Got a couple active recovery work outs in, back felt good... so made the call to get back on the water.

Out the door at graylight after smashing my finger loading up the new Trident 13. Broke a thru fitting for my bait tank when connecting the intake tube. Bypassed the fitting and bungeed the hose to spill over the top. Forecast called for 2-3ft waves. Ended up 2-3 inches at best. I'll take it! On the water at dawn.

Chilly morning. SST 59° but felt like a spa if you know what I mean. Light winds early on building up to a stiff but manageable breeze from the North later on. Water visiblity was amazing. Paddled thru a massive school of halfmoons which had no interest in anything I had tied on. Unfortunately that would be the only fish I saw from the new deck.

Spent most of the morning trying to dial in the new Helix 5. It's only a 2D model with GPS but has way more settings to mess with than my old grayscale unit. Paddled over to a few familiar spots just to see if the image would be similar. I might as well metered Lake Miramar. Guess it will take some getting used to.

As far as metering fish there were plenty. But the lack of current had them lockjawed, at least up shallow where I was working. Seldom birds, zero surface life, quiet radio. No love on the plastic and metal. I did pack squid but the bites were few.

I spied a lobster boat resetting gear. Soon as he left I beelined it to his string. Fresh chum! First fish on the new sleigh... whitefish. :P Continued knocking on doors and followed up with a few sugar bass, short goats, and more whitefish. Not wide open by any means and the "bite" actually stopped altogether sooner than later.

Made my way in working more familiar spots and pressing more buttons. New seat design is much more comfortable. More lumbar and leg support. Zero back soreness which was nice. Found out I have a clock and a speedometer on this Humminbird unit. Average 3.5-4.1 MPH just cruising and 5.1 on a half assed sprint thru surface texture. Now I'm itching break 6 MPH after more rehab sessions in the garage.

Boring report but they should get better as I familiarize myself with the new rig. Overcome hurdles and set new goals. It's not the fish I'm after... or however the saying goes.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: 12/6 La Jolla AM
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 08:46:48 PM »
Congrats on the new sled. My Garmin Striker will give me my speed every other time I go out, no obvious reason why it should be finicky. It is fun to see your speed on a kayak.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 05:30:48 AM »
With my shoulder surgery coming up in 2 weeks, I'll have to live vicariously through your reports, Len.  Damn boat motor also has a herd of gremlins living in it, so I can't even get my fix beforehand.

In any case, you are the Whitefish Master Jedi and I get a good chuckle every time you mention catching one for some reason.

Great reports as always boss and thanks for posting!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 08:17:34 AM »
With all these reports of torn shoulders, back pain and surgeries, I feel like we are in an old fart rehab center  :o  ;D ;D Glad there are still fish willing to play, hope everyone feels better soon 8) 8)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 11:53:56 AM »
Awesome, post some pics of the new setup sometime!

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 04:42:18 PM »
With my shoulder surgery coming up in 2 weeks, I'll have to live vicariously through your reports, Len.  Damn boat motor also has a herd of gremlins living in it, so I can't even get my fix beforehand.

In any case, you are the Whitefish Master Jedi and I get a good chuckle every time you mention catching one for some reason.

So you gonna have to use the other hand for a while and even out the muscles?
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 05:46:24 PM »

So you gonna have to use the other hand for a while and even out the muscles?

Out of the blue, Logs pops his head up from Arizona and gooses you!
It's good seeing you alive and kicking!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.