Author Topic: 12/13 La Jolla AM  (Read 3154 times)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
12/13 La Jolla AM
« on: December 13, 2020, 10:30:45 PM »
A wall of chilly 45° air temps rushed into the garage as I began loading procedures. No smashed fingers this time. Heater on blast for the quick drive to the launch.

As I stumbled down the boardwalk I studied the leftover 3-4ft surf breaking up and down the beach. Swells from the North. Mostly 4ft height but only 2ft faces and mushy. They came in sets of 6-8 and there was just enough lull between sets to make it through.

The high tide and bigger surf left zero real estate for offloading. There were a couple kayak fishermen on the street waiting in their trucks deciding if it's even worth it. One asked me if I'm going for it. I replied "ah this is nothin'"  ;D

Took the Trident off the cart, broke it down, and stored it inside the front hatch. As I locked the lid I looked up and saw my friend and his buddy leashing up before their dawn patrol session. He usually surfs on the other side, so I'm thinking if he's over here then it really must be good. I went over to say what's up. He's not surprised one bit I'm even attempting to go. We shared a few laughs, they paddle out ahead of me, and I timed my entrance with spectators watching.

Set waves to the North just starting to show a lull. Last couple waves in front wash up on what's left of the beach. I saw my window, jumped on, then powered through. A moment later I reunited with my buddy and his friend out in the line up, dry beard and all. "No sweat" I exclaimed as his friend laughed and shook his head. Double checked to see if everything made it out, mounted the Helix 5, then set out to work some deeper water.

SST was 58° with a slight offshore breeze. Lots of salad churned up from this swell. Water was dark green. Refined the settings a bit and had a much better picture on the screen. Stopped on a few marks on the way out which resulted in a lone calico in winter colors. Bait making was grim to say the least. Thank goodness I didn't forget the squid.

Made it out to 200ft+ depths. Few boats and very spread apart. Cattle boat didn't even bat an eye as it made it's way further North towards TP/DM. Metered bait deep. Couldn't figure out how to zoom in LOL. Had to scoot in closer and squint a little. Slim pickens on dinks for the early morning.

Mid morning, still overcast, still cold, and the surface conditions were a little bumpy. There's really no one around. My handheld doesn't transmit anymore only receives. Recent talks of hypothermia on another forum got some spooked and double thinking their cold water gear. My back is still healing but it feels better. I was just realizing I haven't practiced a self rescue in a long time. I figured now isn't the best time to jump in the water to brush up on this, IMHO, mandatory skill set. But alas, nature calls so in I went. Boardshorts are a wonderful thing. Easy off easy on. Business done and back on board. Like riding a bike. Apologies if you weren't prepared for that.

Late morning around 11:30 the switch turned on. Bigger reds, school of bocaccio, and the whitefish all came out of their holes. Mixed sizes. Squid and metal got the love. Lots to decending done but every now and then a keeper would make it aboard. Sinking dinks in 280ft is an eternity with only 4oz torpedos. Bring heavier sinkers next time.

Had about an hour and a half until the bite slowed. The current just flat out died and the winds switched. Counted 8 in the bag with a 3 and 4LB vermillion taking up most of the space. Satisfied with that I paddled back in making a few stops here and there to see if any of the shallow water sheephead wanted to play. Of course the whitefish pecked every last piece of squid off the hooks until I was depleted.

Back at the launch. The swell had diminished to mere ankle slappers. Spotted the Warden sitting in his truck. Didn't bother to check just threw up da shakka. Shoots!

Sonar is working out great. Haven't messed with the GPS much. Going to wait until I have the Navionics card. I also need to order a visor because the glare is unbearable. Didn't take any shots of the new rig as the waves were up and didn't want to soak my phone. Hopefully next time.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: 12/13 La Jolla AM
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 05:18:38 AM »
But alas, nature calls so in I went. Boardshorts are a wonderful thing. Easy off easy on. Business done and back on board. Like riding a bike. Apologies if you weren't prepared for that.

Damn man!  my morning coffee turned to mud after that!  lol

3-4 pound reds sound fantastic!  I wish my boat was operational right now.  Great read once again Len and I'd be the guy waiting on the shore to see if you made it out safely or not before trying.  58 is some cold stuff!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 09:52:24 AM »
Nice report! 3-4 lb reds do sound good!

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 11:56:00 PM »
Big no thanks to that surf launch.

Nice of you to chum the waters like that.

A good read as always.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 11:02:45 AM »
Self rescue, the new code words ;D ;D