Author Topic: Skunk off 12/16  (Read 2014 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Skunk off 12/16
« on: December 17, 2020, 01:31:56 AM »
Missed a decent window for light tackle surf fishing this morning in the name of sleeping in. One day off for the week so I wanted to make an effort count. Fished 2000-0000 tonight with the peak high being a hair after midnight. Brought along mackerel, skipjack, and ray.

Started with the mackerel and smoked the second half of an awful stoge in between casts.

First cast I got shredded very quietly.

Every cast was getting worked on by thieves. Some cookie cutter bites and some getting crushed. Better than nothing IMO. This one looks like a bat ray should have sent my clicker screaming, but again, not a peep from the clicker.

Last piece of mackerel I finally got a real bite. I was just starting to prep the skipjack so I grabbed the rod next to the cooler and horsed in this bad little boy.

Oh, and what's that between my legs?!

No, silly!

That there!

A little swag Tom sent with the tooth!

The skipjack was pretty thick so I ended up trimming it down a little on the inside of the meat to be a little less ridiculous. First piece got a little bit mangled but nothing real. Second piece barely got touched. Packed it in at midnight. Skunk off for December finally.

I've been fishing the Malibu area 20 minutes at a time during my lunch break this past week for 6 straight skunks. Hopefully I nab something this week (if I keep getting the Malibu route) so my dispatch doesn't think I'm just talking s#it about fishing.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 01:35:22 AM by jrodda »

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Skunk off 12/16
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 03:07:22 AM »
Awesome Jeremy, been a long time since I've caught a leo.  Now that I think about it, it's been a long time since I've caught anything   :(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 05:21:41 AM »
That's more shark than I've caught in a month!  haha

Nice job boss!  That picture actually made me cold looking at it.  Quick question, do you guys ever get those isopods dripping out of the head or meat if you soak it for a while?  Just curious as we've had heads turn to almost bone and see those damn pods dripping out of the skull like they were water.  One of your stolen baits looks like a pod infestation might have ravaged it also.

BTW, nice sticker!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 07:01:56 AM »
Cool Leo, always nice to to advertise with a little swag here and there, I'm guilty of it as well ;D

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 10:01:03 AM »
Nice! I seem to be getting nothing but Bats recently. As for your question Tom, I've never seen em that thick before, but the baits do have burrows in the meat from them.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 10:06:06 AM »
I’ve never seen the isopods on my baits before, but I do keep it in mind when the bait thieves are out and the clicker isn’t going off. Them pouring out like water from the bait sounds like a big yuck.

Ethansauce_

• Shovelnose
  • mackerel slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 06:01:18 PM »
Good looks man, glad to see someone's getting bit in malibu. Fished the evening yesterday, not a single run and had similar issues with the bait thieves. Did pull a Calico on a 16/0 dropped bait haha bugger choked a whole mackerel!
Getting skunked on land, pier, and kayak since 01'