Author Topic: headed to Florida  (Read 2504 times)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
headed to Florida
« on: February 20, 2021, 09:10:21 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm moving to Sebastian, FL at the end of the month. I know I haven't been here for all that long, only 3 1/2 years, but it feels much longer than that. It's been great fishing with a good number of you guys, and in particular thanks to Tom, Steve, Binh, and Mike for showing me the ropes. Everyone I've met out here has been extremely welcoming and generous, and I'll never forget that.

The kayak will get a lot of use in FL, but I also plan to dust off the surf fishing gear and see what sharks I can add to the list. I'll be sure to check in and post pics of any that I catch!

And if any of you are ever in the area, be sure to give me a holler.

Ben

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: headed to Florida
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 09:27:34 PM »
Good luck with the move! In your short time here you showed me what's possible with species hunting in CA, particularly via micro-rigs and deep drops, which I'll be doing more of in this upcoming groundfish season.

Just did a quick google and Sebastian looks like one of the quieter spots on the FL coast, and as fishy as any of them.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 03:38:05 AM »
Although we've never met face to face Ben, I've enjoyed your multi species reports and loved your photography.  Best of luck in your travels, keep in touch.  Verne
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 11:10:05 AM »
Right on wish you the best. Always enjoyed your reports. Florida Gulf Coast is top of my list on my exit plan.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 11:58:58 AM »
Looking forward to more exotic fish pics  8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 07:19:26 AM »
Jeez!  You're moving to a fish bowl!  The damn fish eat bare hooks down there.  hahaha
Good luck Ben and I can't wait to see what you catch down there
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 08:49:52 AM »
Thank you guys. I appreciate the kind words. Quiet, fishy, and lower cost of living are what I was looking for. Sebastian looked like it fit the bill perfectly. I'll be able to drive down to Palm Beach to kayak for pelagics like sailfish, mahi, tuna, etc. The area around Sebastian is famous for good inshore fishing, redfish, snook, seatrout, etc. And then non-fishing related I'll finally have a yard so I can garden again. That's the biggest thing I've missed since moving to the townhouse here.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 10:02:19 AM »
I was gonna reply astonished that pelagics get so close to Palm Beach, then I remembered that you and your arms have like a 1,000 mile range on your kayak. That sounds incredible, sailfish from a kayak.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 08:00:23 AM »
Hope you have a safe, quick move Ben.  I'm sure you'll enjoy FL!  I hope to visit there someday!