Author Topic: Quick Trip CIH 3/14  (Read 2413 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Quick Trip CIH 3/14
« on: March 14, 2021, 03:21:21 PM »
My weather sources were all over the place for today. One said barely a whisper of wind, another said 20-30mph all day. So I figured I'd head down to the harbor, and if it was too windy at the launch then I'd turn around and head home, but otherwise I'd just plan for the afternoon wind. And with the clock moving forward, it was as easy as could be to wake up before sunrise.

Arrived at 0700 at Channel Island Harbor ramp, didn't seem bad at all. Maybe up to a 5kn wind. Wasn't as cold as I thought it'd be either.

First stop was Hueneme Canyon, looking for those sablefish that Ben made look so easy to catch. First stop was in 530ft which was shallower than I wanted to be (said no one ever) and I basically set up wrong. I noted I was drifting west instead of the expected east, but really barely moving. I thought I'd be scaling the wall of the canyon fairly quick but I wasn't, and no bites. So I reeled reeled reeled up and reset in 800ft of water. Still more shallow than I wanted to be but a short period was making me a little queasy so I was working hastily. Soaked that for a bit, before some birds were chasing bait for a solid 10 minutes nearby, so I couldn't help but reel up and chase that. Though by the time I got to them it was a whole lotta nothin'.

I really didn't want to deep drop again, so I decided to check a couple potential rockfish spots a few miles away. On my way over, I saw a whale spout. There was a whale watching boat creeping up on the whale so I didn't hang around for fear of messing with their operation.

Continuing my way over, in a mess of scattered broken kelp stringers, something big rolled on one of the kelp stringers. Like sea lion or good size shark. It didn't come back up, so I didn't wanna hang around for that either. Then a stringer caught on my motor, blocking my cooling intake, so I had to sit idle to pull the stringer off the motor for a second, right by where I saw the sea monster roll....

Arrived at my rockfish spot. 200ft of water. Started getting nibbles fairly quickly, decent amount of bait in the water. Then the bait left and I stopped getting nibbled. Reeled up and found a decent dab. Skunk off.

Moved over a little for the next drift. Nothing for a few minutes, then I got slammed. For lack of bites prior, I had a feeling of what it was.

And I was right.

Spiny Dogfish aka Pinback. Pretty cool, for about 3 seconds. Then it tangled the hell out of my line so I had to bring it aboard. Found that my eBay 7/0 live bait hooks are trash when I tried to unhook him with pliers and I was just bending the hook shank around instead of making way on the barb. Cut my line in 3 or 5 places and let him go.

After that, I figured I didn't want to deal with another pinback, and there didn't seem to be much else around. The short period was getting to me more, though peppermint oil was helping. So I decided to head in. I ended up stopping on the breakwall for about 30 minutes pitching a fly lined squid at the boulders. Got robbed once.

When I got back to the ramp, a DFW surveyor practically popped out of the bushes and asked me some questions about what I was targeting. The sablefish thing threw him for a bit of a loop.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 05:16:02 PM by jrodda »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Trip CIH 3/14
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 04:53:39 PM »
Those spiny dogfish are no joke.  Teeth and spines!  We used to get monsters on the East Coast and I think they are the same species, but possibly different sub species.

Keep the reports coming!  I'm still on a 5# weight limit the next 2 months, so I have to take in any type of fishing or fishing stories I could!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 04:58:53 PM »
So weird.  I literally just checked an old message bin and found a message sent to me about the spiny dogfish.  Apparently, it has been classified as a new species Squalus suckleyi (North Pacific Spiny Dogfish), so there I have it!

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 05:29:34 PM »
So weird.  I literally just checked an old message bin and found a message sent to me about the spiny dogfish.  Apparently, it has been classified as a new species Squalus suckleyi (North Pacific Spiny Dogfish), so there I have it!

How serendipitous, thank you for the tidbit! I'll update my species excel sheet with the correct taxonomy. I had the generic species name in its place. I've caught one once before maybe 15 years ago, but I didn't confirm then with a pic.

Keep lifting those tuna cans! Weather permitting I'll be out again on Thursday.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 04:01:25 AM »
Darn Jeremy, I can't imagine fishing in 800 feet of water.  When I used to fish the overnight boats out of Channel Islands I would go on the PI's 'shallow water' days.  That's a lot of winding.............glad you're getting out my man
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 12:24:29 PM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 05:38:19 AM »
Deeeeeeeeeper!  ;D

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 07:59:31 AM »
This is great, you're sure getting your use out of that little boat!  8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 01:33:09 PM »

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 07:13:17 PM »
Deeeeeeeeeper!  ;D

Idk how you got to 1500ft with 500m of line, I think I’m gonna bottom out in 1000ft with the scope. Debating buying a reel for 1000m of 50-60#. I got rid of my Penn 9/0s cuz they’re too slow to retrieve on that kind of a drop. For now I’m setting the deep drops aside til there isn’t so much wind swell.

Also, I can't help but get a feeling almost like a fear of heights when I'm dropping so deep. I'd float in the water all the same in 5' or 5000' of water, but as that sinker dropped further and further, I couldn't help but clutch the rail rope extra securely ;D .
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 10:16:14 PM by jrodda »

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 06:57:16 AM »
800 ft and sea monsters  :o