Author Topic: Return Of Rasta 5/27 & 5/28/21  (Read 2080 times)

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Return Of Rasta 5/27 & 5/28/21
« on: May 29, 2021, 01:57:54 PM »
Guess who's back :D

Been fishin ABA Green bass team tourneys, with a buddy, since January. Finally got a chance to hit the big water again after a solid 1st season. Managed a top 5 finish and 3 top tens, 7th, 6th, and 5th, outta 6 events.

https://i.imgur.com/HRgLEMd.jpg

Got a call from my buddy Nick to get after some grinners. Its been over 2yrs since I've felt a shark pull on the big rod. Hit the beach at 5pm to make bait. Managed a small perch and an 8in YFC. Not bad lol, waited the swimmers and surfers out and had baits in by 645. Nothin for the 1st hour. Then the magic hour was upon us. As the Sun starts to dip into the marine layer haze I chopped the croakers head off at 725 and sent it out past the breakers. I Lit up an offerin, and as Nick and I were shootin the $#!+, I look over and see the Rasta-far Rod doin the grinner dance. Sprint to it and get the hook burried and see the most epic tail walk/dolphin breach I've ever seen. This was my 1st time hooking a soup before darkness set in. She was PI$$ED!!! She made another half hearted leap outside the breakers and then the zig zaggin and tail beatin began. I drew a bit of a crowd durring the fight, so the pressure was definitely on as we went back and fourth. After a solid 5mins, that felt like forever lol she was within tailing range and with the help of one last lil shore breaker she was on hard pack firmly in nicks grasp. I of course let out a WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, that had been pent up for over 25months, that would have put 1983 ric flair to shame!!!

Stoked is an absolute understatement!

https://i.imgur.com/CVC5LRT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EVRATyx.jpg

Snapped some pics and let a few audience members check her out super quick and sent her home.

I had forgot my head lamp in the truck, so I wasnt planning on stayin late, but since Nick invited me out, I said I'd stay til he got bit atleast. Didnt take long lol he was bent b4 dark and landed his PB soup at 73" and some change. On some perch chunks.

Professional Photographer Grade Photo

https://i.imgur.com/jfo3mOl.jpg

Well we couldn't leave em biting LMAO
So we both sent baits back out. And within 10mins nicks on again, he gets the hook set and the fish makes a couple hard runs before the hook pulls. Gets his rig in and the bait has no marks, still sittin on his circle hook like he sent it out. So he recasts and we said 20 more mins and we'll call it, before the mega high tide pushed us off the sand. Didnt get to 15mins when his rod goes off again with an absolute screamer. I kinda knew within the 1st 30secs it was a bat lol this thing was on a mission to spool his lil 8000 Penn battle 3! It took 300yds of 50lb braid like nothin and I knew he needed to tighten his drag way down or he was done. After another 80 plus yards flew off I Couldn't help but half yell at him button that $#!+ down bro she's gonna take all your line soon! He just bought the reel and didnt know the limitations on it yet but i couldn't just watch him get spooled! Bro you got like 40yds left she's either takin all the line, or you lock that drag down and at least try and stop her. Worst that'll happen line snaps or you pull the hook, she aint gonna stop with what you're doin now! He was super nervous but finally obliged and he managed to turn her with maybe 30yds left on the spool but he swears he had over 50 x) idk how close he was but I could see alot of space on that spool. She's wore out after that ridiculous run, and they stalemate for a bit, before he starts to gain his line back a few yards at a time. Im textin Mike the whole time lol hes already ready to fish Friday night ;) 15 mins go by and she's gettin close. And almost 20mins after the bite she's in the skinny. Holy $#!+ bro she's HUGE!!! I have caught some BIG bats outta the surf and sand handed my share of ABSOLUTE UNITS, but this was by far the THICKEST AND HEAVIEST MUD MARLIN I've ever laid hands on!!!

58" MONSTROSITY

https://i.imgur.com/4PnjWpB.jpg

Pics Do ZERO justice to the size of this bat. And she wouldnt sit still for $#!+

https://i.imgur.com/4bBUSoD.jpg

We were both done after that and the tide had already soaked all of Nicks gear so we made the hike out and called it. Helluva way to get welcomed back to the surf ;D

Well they say strike while the iron is hot.. So I headed back down yesterday same time, place, and mission. Catch bait while I waited for Mike and Andre (lightline22) to show up, and the water enthusiasts to get outta the way :/

Took a lil bit, but I Caught a couple pieces of bait before mike showed up. And the crowd thinned out enough to get a bait in the water by 645. Surf was pumpin a lil more than Thurs but it was fishable. The grass was gettin annoying but I wasn't gonna be discouraged lol. One of Nicks good buddies Greg shows up, we've talked on IG but this was my 1st time fishin with him. Then Andre shows up after his trek down from LA .

So its a full on mini gathering lol Mike and I are book ended with Andre nortg of mike and Greg south of me. He forgot his rod holder at home, and couldnt make any bait so, I offered him some old Mack and generously gave him the tail section of a perch I caught on Thurs :D This would prove to be crucial in the way the rest of the night unfolded.

Magic hour comes and goes. We've all soaked a couple baits. It's about 830 and im kinda wonderin if it was past prime time since we put 2 on the sand before dark the night before. Greg chucks out the perch tail i gave him and says hes probably done within the hour. Not 5 mins later Andre hooks up and as I'm walkin down to check him out Greg says hes bit too! Son of a bi@+©#!!! Mikes watchin his rod and helpin Dre while i crank my rig in and help Greg out. His lil Daiwa Saltist 5000 is gettin worked !!! 50lb braid singing off like it was trout gear! I questioned his drag tightness after 200yds went towards Catalina and told him bout nicks beast the night before almost spoolin him on a bigger reel. Mike came over after gettin Dres fish dealt with and said the same thing as Greg's fish headed towards mikes line. He cranked down and managed to turn her before it became a complete clusterfμ©× . after about 12 mins she was in the skinny and mike and I dragged her to hard pack .

Dres Bat

https://i.imgur.com/icsw3D4.jpg

Greg's Bat

https://i.imgur.com/awqFWl6.jpg

Not what we came for but part of the game lol we all rebaited and said we'd fish til 10 since the high was at 11 and we got pushed out bout 45mins before the peak the night before. Probably 30mins later, Andre hooked up with another bat about the same size. but Mike didnt wanna take another pic apparently ;P

So at 940ish I chopped the head off the YFC I caught that day and sent it out into the darkness. I was talkin to Greg while he held his rod, rememeber he forgot his rod holder lol he was worried about his tackle, sittin on his towel few yards behind us, gettin wet with the tide comin up quickly, so I dragged it up the sand for him outta harms way.. Literally as I stood back up he says I think you're gettin bit. I look and my rod starts that grinner rip rip rip ZIIIIIIIIING !!! Sprint 10yds and get the reel engaged and ITS ON!!! THATS HER!!! Tell tale hurky, jerky, thrashing, line coming off sporadically, i hear a splash from what felt like a jump. It's a shark for sure!!! She was Pullin me north right towards mikes line. Luckily she just swam over it and Greg helped me navigate the obstacle with no problem. She was already pretty close but wouldnt give up. when she hit the skinny she bolted back through the inside break a few times before the shore pound wore her out enough for Greg to get a tail grab and we dragged her out enough to get her unhooked and a couple pics.

Another Beautiful Female Soup

https://i.imgur.com/FkwhXTd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tO789sn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/I7Mu6E2.jpg

Gotta love a buzzer beater B)
We all packed up, as the tide was just about to start makin its way up to our gear.

Needless to say I've had that $#!+eatin grin on since sunset on Thurs, and my face kinda hurts xD but I'll be back out there tryin to keep the streak goin tonight. From No sharks for 25months, to 2 in 2 nights, NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Rastafar-gone B)<==*~~~

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Return Of Rasta 5/27 & 5/28/21
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 02:03:40 PM »
Well, sh!t.

Some nice fish right there.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 10:37:20 PM »
That's a nice way to make a comeback 8) We need that kind of action for the Bat Fight :) Congrats on the Bass too ! 8) 8)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 10:44:58 PM »
The big water gave you a warm welcome-back! Nice write up and a sweet collection of critters.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 02:51:42 AM »
Congrats on your success with the bass, stoked to see some grinners hit the sand.  Welcome back Rasta Man   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 06:55:17 AM »
Well that's a "Welcome Back" in style!   Great report Josh!  Hooking a jumping Soupie in daylight is a total exciting endeavor over catching them at night and I'm glad she gave you a show!

As Bats go, that's a whopper and 3rd biggest I've seen on these boards!  Those are some awesome pictures of it also!

Well, great report and good to see something totally worthy!  This will be on the front page of the site for sure.

Looks like I have a couple of new sharks to finally add to the list.  Bravo sir!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 03:14:09 PM »
Thanks for Dakine kind words boys!

Last night was a bust for me, but Nick did get the right bite and it came unbuttoned. He did land a nice Leopard and lil 52" Bat.

But it Definitely felt good to get that "squatch-esque" streak broken! With 2 gorgeous soups on consecutive nights.

I've seen a few of my soups jump in the dark but nothing like the display that one did!

I hadnt caught anything but a couple decent bats and small shovels in over 2yrs. Granted 2020 was a bust. Sand handing most of mikes sharks last year was the highlight of the season xD

Hopefully, now that i have more time to target the big game, I'll have more to post. And I might start puttin some halibut up on the boat reports  :o 8)

;D<==*~~