Author Topic: shark bait and a 40lb mahi  (Read 12333 times)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
shark bait and a 40lb mahi
« on: March 11, 2015, 06:13:10 AM »
got some nice eating fish and a few tunas and skips for bait. my buddy got the biggest fish of the day with a Mahi tipping 40lbs.  8-)

one of my cows. released.

some decent yellowfin and a few smaller bait size ones.

my buddy and his big mahi.

I had to get a pic for reference.

my biggest Mahi so far is only 32lbs. for size reference. (the little one took a big treble though its face so it made it to the cooler. we release the chickens.)

no Marlin this day (Saturday) but a white marlin came in on another boat Sunday. I'm going to start slow trolling some yellowfin now that the warmer currents are reaching us.
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: shark bait and a 40lb mahi
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 06:35:23 AM »
40lb dodo is a beauty!  Very cool to see all the beautiful pelagics coming in from you out there Chris.  I'm looking forward to a big shoreline fish here soon.  I got to imagine there is some weird stuff swimming the shoreline waters out there!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 06:50:37 AM »
40lb dodo is a beauty!  Very cool to see all the beautiful pelagics coming in from you out there Chris.  I'm looking forward to a big shoreline fish here soon.  I got to imagine there is some weird stuff swimming the shoreline waters out there!

there is. I was pretty hesitant about it last year but learned a few tricks. I've invested a few dollars over the winter on some lures and gear to get me going this summer. I hope to be able to post up a 40lb mahi of my own but off the rocks!
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 07:10:11 AM »

there is. I was pretty hesitant about it last year but learned a few tricks. I've invested a few dollars over the winter on some lures and gear to get me going this summer. I hope to be able to post up a 40lb mahi of my own but off the rocks!

That would be damn cool to see.  Is there grouper in close there or Trevally?
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 07:51:17 AM »

That would be damn cool to see.  Is there grouper in close there or Trevally?

there are. Grouper fishing off the rocks is like soupfin fishing in the OC. its been done, but not often enough to call it "grouper fishing". the trevally are here now. I've been out looking for them a few times since Jan with no luck. I've seen some pretty good blow ups on my way to work though. go figure right? the mullet will be spawning soon so I think my luck might change. we also have Dogtooth tuna and YFT that are caught from shore. the Dog tooth being one of the more desirable catches. I want to live line a small bonito or tuna out on my 12/0 and see if I can get a marlin or sail. commercial guys are getting them several hundred yards from shore but I don't think its ever been done from shore here.

there's just so many fish and ways to catch them, I probably won't even put a dent in the surface before I have to leave.
Keep it tight

Jaws

• Mud Marlin
  • Bitten by the shark bug!
    • View Profile
    • Sharkbite Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 08:27:33 AM »
Awesome stuff Chris! Looking forward to the shore caught marlin!
It's all Tom and Don's fault! They "hooked" me on mud marlins and sharks!

SNBF VI  Winner