Author Topic: 108.5" of prehistoric soul  (Read 14031 times)

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
108.5" of prehistoric soul
« on: April 16, 2015, 11:19:57 PM »
Well, where to begin...got off work at 5, got home and got a message from Steve, asking if I'm still heading out and where...and after some haggling we decide to fish local.
As I'm arriving, it's 7, I see Steve roll up, for once I'm the 1 early to the spot, sorta...he has all his stuff set up and quickly gets a bait in the water, while I shoot the sh!t, he gets bit by a spunky mid sized bat...so far so good...that was quick so I'm hoping it'll be a great session.

Far from it for me so far. I'm going without any bites and Steve gets a nice little hit...did he miss it? Nope, got a nice size round stingray (is this a -1?)

I check my bait, nada, rebait with a mack tail and send her out.
And well, not much is going on, no kelp, nice manageable surf, sob its nice, just lacking action...just when I'm gettin bummed, I get a slow run going south if where we are situated...not much of a dramatic fight, I get it coming in, it then decides it's gonna continue cruising south of our spot. Ever determined to get his hands on the big ray we thought I had, Steve abandons his rod that's still soaking and makes his way down the beach, somewhere in the area of 150' yards. Meanwhile I can't gain line, I can only follow it...when I see it finally exposed and I hear Steve scream holy sh!t Ray!!! I'm just thinking this is no ray...I run up and see an absolute brute of a 7gill beached on Its back and Steve doing his best to keep it from getting dragged back from the waves...luckily there's some joggers who hold my rod, while I grab the tail and me and Steve gave it a mighty heave ho! The 7 was just simply to heavy and we may have dragged it 5 feet and it was simply to much...the hook removal and pics will have to be while getting splashed by waves...I remove the hook which was perfectly in the corner of the mouth..we snap some pics, get the measurement of 108.5", and make struggle of dragging him back, followed by watching him slowly, but with authority swim off.

At this point, I'm good, I wind in, sit down and hope Steve cam nail 1...and he does, with another round stingray! By this time we give it 1 more soak, and call it a night...

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: 108.5" of prehistoric soul
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 04:45:46 AM »
 That first sighting of your fish was incredible. It was huge and not the bat we both expected. Really glad t have been there to see it, and help to land it. She was so big I'm not sure I could have wrapped my arms around her girth.

Huge congrats to you on a great fish.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 05:30:56 AM »
Awesome Ramon, maybe you found the 'culprit' that took a nip at Tom's soupie last week  :o
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

raychavez91

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 06:38:06 AM »
Would of bin cool had it regurgitated,.I'm just curious what it had bin eating ;)
She looked like a Damn elephant seal for a second lol

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 06:40:30 AM »
Nice sesh guys! Congrats on another phat 7 B)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 06:44:57 AM »
Our waters have been nice to you guys lately, congrats on a beast of a shark 8) And you had good company too ;)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 07:11:49 AM »
Wow, wow, wow. What a way to make me happy and sad while laying in my hospital bed right now. Lol
Congrats on a 9' sevengill!!!! I'm so stoked for you even if i'm a little green with envy that you topped my 102". I had to get a surfer to help me bring it back in the water it was so heavy. That 7 you caught looks like it was eating all the starving seal pups. I would have loved to be there and get some good pics, not those aren't great but i would have had the nicer camera for a pic. :)
Once i get home from the hospital, be sure you'll see that picture on the P Soul main page!  What a beast and only the 4th Sevengill over 100" that has been taped that i know about from the surf.
Brandon (shark killer) 110"
Ray chavez 108.5"
Latimeria 102"
Donfish 101"

Bravo boss
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 07:15:42 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 07:25:51 AM »
That's a beast 7gill. How did it fight? Any tail slapping, head shakes?
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

raychavez91

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 07:52:55 AM »
I knew you'd get a kick it if it...And what a fitting day. You should of seen the grin on Steve's face as he texted you letting you know of what just took place lol
Yeah would of bin nice to get a few more clear shots, but considering where she decided she was ready to come in, and with all the time takin to drag her fatass out of the water, we had to move quick.
As far as the fight went we thought it was a good size bat for sure.
Couple long runs, hardly any headshakes, only at the end I started feeling what I thought where powerful wingbeats, which where the actual headshakes.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 07:56:15 AM »
 :o Wow that thing is huge! Congrats Bro!

jlwells

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 08:23:44 AM »
Epic man! 8)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 08:26:35 AM »
WOW!!!! Holy sh!t Ray!!!

:o :o :o :o :o :o

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Rammer

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 08:31:28 AM »
Nice job Team Ray and Steve..  I know those sharks can be tough to handle on the beach.
 :)
Rammer

raychavez91

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 08:44:56 AM »
Gracias guys, she was pretty good out of the water, just to heavy to deal with, this I couldn't gave done without Steve's help landing it

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 09:59:45 AM »
FRIGGAND NICE! I feel our northernly 7s are getting lonely.