Author Topic: Tying Up a New Short Rig and Replenishing the Supply  (Read 23526 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Tying Up a New Short Rig and Replenishing the Supply
« on: April 22, 2015, 07:12:06 AM »
I've been going nuts lying and sitting around here for the past week and needed to accomplish something.  I decided to take a little walk... for exercise and to pick up some c*cktails.  It was a good walk and tiring at the same time.

Now armed with a few c*cktails, I got to work trying to replenish my casting rigs and to maybe try something new for a particular situation.  I had wanted to try a short steel leader rig when the structure was a little thick in order to possibly cut down on the hang ups and lost rigs.  Steve had something similar in mind as he showed me a circle hook- short leader rig he tried and seemed to work.  I however couldn't get myself to use circle hooks, so just adapted to something I liked.

Here is the short leader shark rig. 

I cut a 6" and 22" section of 135# coated 7 strand wire and got everything out I would need including a 10/0 Octopus Hook.

I used the 6 inch leader to crimp up the short leader side to a free rolling 105# swivel. Of course I heat shrunk the ends for a clean and functional look.

To limit the amount of crimping that I would need, I decided to just crimp the 22" section to the top half of the rig letting the sinker end of the rig to be tied up with 80# mono.

After tying up the 80# sinker leader and a 1/0 snap swivel to the end for a quick change end for a sinker and extra pivotal parts to prevent twisting, I came out with the final product.

I tied up 5 of them as I am not sure if they are going to help or not, but I like the look and functionality of it.  I do see me possibly losing some sinkers with the mono, but the shark should be saved and at least I in theory should get most of my rig back.  If not, this was a fun experimental rig to use and really like visually.

I used some different type of 10/0 hooks also to test and see if one works better than the other.

Of course I had to tie up a dozen plus "Go-To" casting rigs to replenish some of the one's I've been burning through before my down time.
Pre-shrunk Shrink...

Post-Shrunk Shrink

At the very end, It felt good to get in the garage and tie some up as also to tie one on.  My wife wasn't happy to come home to see me loaded, but whatever... it felt good to be normal again.  I'm going to tie on some new line to my reel today and probably do as much as I can while sitting down/resting my back as I could.

I can't wait to get out and see if these rigs work or not.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 08:35:35 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
Re: Tying Up a New Short Rig and Replenishing the Supply
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 07:16:52 AM »
Awesome your walking man....and putting got time to good use ;)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 10:12:46 AM »
Good you got out. I like the addition of the longer steel leader. Be interested to see how the J hooks work out.

Glad to hear you are mobile enough to head down for a Joose.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 11:35:32 AM »
My wife wasn't happy to come home to see me loaded, but whatever...

Lol, I go through this pretty often...

Rigs look nice. I've been playing around with some lately as well. I'll get the pics up later.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 09:27:52 PM »
I'm itching to try them.  I think I have no less than 3 dozen rigs tied up, but probably realistically pushing 4 dozen.  That means I have to heal up and get my ass back on the sand to start burning through them! (And NO, I have plans for each and everyone of those rigs)   ;D

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 09:41:48 AM »
No worry about the tumble effect on a cast with that much separation between varying weights (Bait / Sinker)?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 09:47:28 AM »
No worry about the tumble effect on a cast with that much separation between varying weights (Bait / Sinker)?
It's a slight concern, but as long as my sinker outweighs my bait, i think it will be fine. Steve didn't have any issues with his, so im hopeful it will work.
I really won't know until i could get back out there again, though. Hopefully soon.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 09:48:18 AM »
Dave, everyone talks about "tumble/helicopter effect" I just don't see it happen. When I cast, and watch the rig fly, I see the weight out front and the bait trailing behind. Maybe it is all happening right when the gear is leaving the rod, and things are sorting themselves out. I don't know. But, the bait and weight never fly together, regardless of leader length relationship, and I never see them trade places. Anyway, I don't worry about it.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 12:04:21 PM »
Great stuff thanks!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 02:12:03 PM »
Mind sharing some where ya got the 3-ways?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 02:26:29 PM »

I got these at the Day at the Docks last year and have not been able to find them anywhere.  I also use the Offshore angler heavy duty 3 way swivels, or there is another good product that I've been using that is very similar.  I really like these swivels the best, but you have to make sure you crimp everything in the correct eye or it is not as effective.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manloong-Fishing-Three-Way-3-Way-Rolling-Swivel-/281657867896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item41941dfe78

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 03:00:20 PM »

I got these at the Day at the Docks last year and have not been able to find them anywhere.  I also use the Offshore angler heavy duty 3 way swivels, or there is another good product that I've been using that is very similar.  I really like these swivels the best, but you have to make sure you crimp everything in the correct eye or it is not as effective.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manloong-Fishing-Three-Way-3-Way-Rolling-Swivel-/281657867896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item41941dfe78

I have some those. Was trying to find the ones that have the ball bearings. but haven't been able to locate the right sized ones. I better get off ebay!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 03:29:18 PM »

I have some those. Was trying to find the ones that have the ball bearings. but haven't been able to locate the right sized ones. I better get off ebay!!

Lol , me too. Being home all day is devastating my wallet.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 05:04:22 PM »
I have the manloong swivels. I have been happy with them. Have a few of the other type, don't dislike them, but don't feel like they are any better. I could easily convince myself that the bigger profile collects more weeds.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 07:29:42 AM »
Was thinking that too Steve.

Shoot ... my uni knot at the 40/80 connection seems to be the worst collection point for me when it comes to grass and kelp :(

I too have the 3way Tom linked. No complaints ... yet ..