Author Topic: Duped By The Forecast (6/5)  (Read 12381 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Duped By The Forecast (6/5)
« on: June 05, 2015, 07:53:19 PM »
When I was looking at the report yesterday, I saw that the winds were going to pick up, but they were calling for very light conditions out there.  This seemed like a perfect opportunity to take the Boma out looking for Bluefin, so I took the day off and met Squatch down at the ramp.  He had a case of the "Fishing Flu" today also.

The wind was HOWLING from the south and the waves and swell were at least 2 to 3 times bigger than the forecast the day before.  I kind of knew this wasn't going to be the day to look for Bluefin, but I was hoping we could get some bait and at least get a yellow or two.  On the way out the inlet, we passed a few dozen tuna crab swimming with the current.  We tried to scoop a few, but they were quicker than they look!

Once again, the bait was scarce. I had one lucky drop after metering a small meatball on the sonar and pulled up 5 large macks on one drop.  We had 6 macks total and decided to make the run to the yellowtail grounds.  On one of the drifts, we had a se lion pop up and eat one of my baits... down to 5 now...

We ran at a slow pace here and there trying to meter stuff before we decided to just drift some big macks on the dropper loop out deep.  I metered what I thought was a nice school of macks before I left and my tine sabiki got walloped.  I thought I had a stringer of macks on, but it was only this stinky Salmon Grouper that I kept for one of my neighbors.  lol

Greedy bastard!

At this point we got a few rockfish in the cooler and I had some numbers that I wanted to run to.  On my first drop with the big mack, I get hit.  It turns out there was a mess of these things down here, but it was hard to get the hook stuck in them when they were choking on the mackerel.

I got back to back legal lings and the fish finder was all lit up!

Steve finally got one and it looked like a beauty until we realized he snagged it in his belly.  ;D
We burned through our few baits quickly and must have had 8 or more definite ling bites, but only managed to boat 3.
The current and wind was ripping and I had some meat in the cooler, so we decided to do some VERY shallow water calico fishing and try and get out of the wind.  I must say, that was pretty fun!  We didn't catch a ton, but we both got into them as well as had a bunch of followers and a bunch of missed fish.

Well, we decided to call it and in the nick of time also.  The wind kicked up from the SW like a bitch and we missed the worst of it even though we were soaked by the time we got to the inlet.

I went to open it up when we got in the inlet, but the motor kept bogging down everytime I opened up the throttle!?  WTF?  I tried a few more time with no success, so I just decided to take it slow back to the trailer.  When I got her on the trailer, I was getting nervous that my motor might have poo-poo'd on me.  I kept it out of gear and revved the motor just to hear her sound like a million bucks!  I put it in gear and used the trailer tongue to hold me there.  My fears are now thinking my lower end is shot as I could not generate any power when putting it in gear...  Great, the Boma is temporarily done even before the season started!  grrrr.

Anyway, I got back home and washed her up and cleaned the fish.  The ling were just stuffed as their bellies almost couldn't hold another thing!

Mack

Oobly Gooblies

Well, I got a few rockfish and 2 ling in the cooler, so I couldn't ask for more due to the conditions.  I seared up the cheeks tonight in butter and garlic... it is worth the trouble cutting those things out.

Stay thirsty my friends!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Duped By The Forecast (6/5)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 08:12:36 PM »
Nice meat sesh in the sh!tty conditions boss. Sucks the boma lower end took a dump, and to think you were jus bitchin bout ur trailer on Tuesday...

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 09:27:27 PM »
Rough day. Never know what will come with a new morning.

Those lings were fun.

That shallow water calico fishing had me a little nervous when the swells got big. Fun though.

One of these trips we will get slammed.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 10:10:59 PM »
Nice ... at least you 'caught' fish ....

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 08:53:04 PM »
Nice to see ya out there boss.  its gonna be a good long year...we got time..
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 09:00:13 AM »
Vertu nice BBQ material there 8)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 12:35:42 PM »
B.O.A.T = bust out another thousand
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 03:14:08 PM »
B.O.A.T = bust out another thousand

Boat also means you have a bunch of people wanting to be your fishing buddy!  ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 12:21:06 PM »
Glad you are getting the Boma out and about again, bummer on losing power ??? Hope it's a quick fix ;)