Author Topic: San Diego Bay SBS tourny  (Read 13888 times)

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
San Diego Bay SBS tourny
« on: June 06, 2015, 09:29:56 PM »
Well Jonny and I hit the San Diego bay only tournament today.  We were not looking forward to this one as we dont usually fish SD bay for spotties.  I know a few spots they hang but I dont like flipping in the marinas and docks.  We bit the bullet and headed out this morning with nothing but low hopes.  At 5am the horn sounded and a pile of boats headed full speed to the shelter island marina.  We made a turn and headed to a different location.  We flipped the pilings with jigs and creature baits.  It didnt take long to get bit.  OOOOh   get the net... and its a 3lb sandy..  then a 2lb calico, then a 4lb sandy, 2 lb calico and so on.  only two spotties we got were dinks 13 in...Couldnt believe it, but fun fishing non the less.  we decided to make the move to the marina.  Once we got in there there were boats in every fairway and slip.  We gave it the old college try and were not feeling it.  It wasnt our bag so we said lets fish what we know and get em.  The docks were left behind as we bolted to a spot I know spotties are in and I like to fish.  first cast first legal of the day.  a pile of shorts and then the second legal..   Hopes are high and the stoke is on..  we make a few more passes and decide to run and gun the spots that are similar.  First cast on the new spot and bump and its on.  big one.  but when the drag on my revo toro 50 gets pulled,  I know its the wrong kind.  funny  the fish ran hard on the surface cutting the water with the line.  Two passes and a few time I couldnt reel into the fish we see color  and its a big old butt.  We were gonna net it and let it go but Net wasnt an option.  gaffed it in the head and its dinner.  Long story short we ran and fished that whole bay to the keyes and back.  we finished our day at our spot we caught the legals and jonny stuck two more good legals.  I had two more legal butts that we released.  Only managed 4 fish bag and an 8th place finish out of 17 teams.  Cant complain we caught alot of fish and alot of big ones just not the money fish.  Jonny learned alot as I made him run the boat all day.  And help make the big calls.  I still dont like SD bay for spotties.  But alot of big teams blanked and Im stoked we made it work..

Jonny and the average turd roller.  wish they counted..

ohh and I got a Nice butt on the A rig..  Yep the all day rig..

We caught alot of good fish today and need to take a minute to enjoy them on game day..but every second counts and we forget....
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego Bay SBS tourny
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 09:02:24 AM »
So sounds like a win in my book 8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 09:03:54 AM »
The Ballast Boys may have won the tourney, but you won with that Hali!  Wow, well done on the A-Rig!!!!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 09:47:34 AM »
Mike and scotty fished the SWBA event out of ventura at the islands.. ed and dennis won this one.. thanks  it was a fun butt.
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 10:06:35 AM »
Got my tournaments mixed up. Hard to keep track of them all, at least for me.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.