Author Topic: A Square Boma Shakedown (6/14)  (Read 17104 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
A Square Boma Shakedown (6/14)
« on: June 14, 2015, 05:19:10 PM »
OK, so the Boma is not feeling well and I have been testing all possible issues all week long.  The worst part is that I can't just test it in my driveway since the problems were happening in gear and under load.  I decided to just go out and see if my mechanical work fixed the issues, but did not plan on anything since I planned on doing on the water repairs if needed.  I did pack a few bay rods and brought my new stick by Skrilla just to get it wet and maybe get the feel of casting the rod.

I left late this morning and didn't even bring my tackle or even a cooler as I had no plans on really fishing.  Besides, I told the wife that I would be home by 9:00 most likely.  ???

I get out there to a similar sluggish issue and pull some of the internal fuel line parts.  I possibly found a clogged internal filter, but had to be careful since I was on the water and would have hated to lose the screws and parts due to butter fingers.  I got it all squared away and did a trial speed run...  34 mph and felt better than ever!!!  Not sure which solution was the main fix, but it didn't matter, the Boma was back in action!

I headed out into the inlet to catch some macks for shark bait.  RED CRAB were everywhere and I even saved a few to try for a snack tonight.  I just gotta try as I only hear stories, but have none for myself to go by.

The macks were hard to find.  There was a lot of chovie or smaller bait around, but it took some time to get 9 small Spanish in the livewell.  It was so flat out there, that I decided to run it and burn some gas in hopes to clean out any other buildup in the lines.

I get 5 miles out and see a pod of HUGE Blue Whales... Not the normal sized ones I remember from last year, but maybe 100 foot or more!  It was like submarines rising!  I saw some terns working and was keeping my eyes out, but only had bay gear and no tackle except for the hook I tied on the rod that Skrilla made me.

As I was cruising, I saw a nice sized mako surface swimming, maybe 80-90 pounds, but I had no steel leader so I just pinned on a Spanish to my 60lb topshot and cast out.. BAM!  Instantaneous hook up!

I fought him for 30 minutes and had him jump about 5 or 56 times!  I can't believe he didn't clip the line since I was running straight mono!

(Just for visual stimulation, I added a stock photo of a jumping mako to give you the exhilaration of the view I had for a half an hour!)

Finally it changed directions and the line snipped like I never had him.  I even pulled all of my gaffs to land this bastard since I was certain at one point I would get him!  Len's wrap and the Rainshadow rod were just STELLER!  The only issue was that mako fought pretty damn hard and I tweaked my back a little, but he broke off before he totally crushed me.

I had no more hooks, but found a rusty hook under my gunnel and tied it on.. WTF, right?  I'm glad it was there.

I came across some small leaves and strands of kelp and saw a bunch of micro bait on it.  You can see it in this pic if you look close enough. Wiggles with eyes.

I cast a mack on my rusty hook and it was game on!  15 minutes later after a great battle on my new stick, and the gaff was sunk!

Seriously, I caught him on a rusty old hook with no gear and my new rod now has hooked and fought a nice mako on the first cast and got a 14lb yellow on the second cast!  Good will hunting!
The money shot for Len to see what his artistry has harvested!

Next cast and I'm hooked up again!  Another yellow!!!!!

I fought him for 5 minutes before he found ever strap of kelp in the water that gave him an edge to pull the hook... Oh well.  Just then Bluefin Tuna started to bust about 50 yards from me!  I'm only 5 miles out dammit!!!!!  I started doing the run and gun thing for no luck.

I had quite a few miles to just get back into the inshore side of things and decided to call it quits.  I had no plans of really fishing, but just to get the Boma running again.  Who would have thunk the things I saw and the action I had today!  I only came home with one yellow, but considering the circumstances... it was a GREAT day out on the water!!!

...Not to mention that the BOMA RIDES AGAIN!   ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 06:40:04 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: A Square Boma Shakedown (6/14)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 05:40:52 PM »
So cool. Glad the motor is working. Guess I need to rig up my special trolling rig soon.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 08:28:04 PM »
Good God, you are one fishy mofo!!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 09:03:18 PM »
You kidding me? ... Damn Tom you are a 10%er .... no doubt with that theory.

Unreal ... congrats ...  8) 8)

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 11:26:25 PM »
Serious stickage on the new stick! Too bad the mako got the better of u, 1st mako on the  Boma , on the new rod on its virgin cast woulda been some seriously good juju! But a teen yeller on cast 2 is a decent consolation prize ;) in all seriousness though super stoked your "back to normal". And that you got a yellow on your maiden new sticks voyage, and the boma didn't leave u stranded in the kelp either B)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 01:19:09 AM »
Wow. Helluva shakedown run.  :o

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 09:04:44 AM »
Sounds like a Damn nice day to me that's for sure

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 12:51:32 PM »
so rad... 8)
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
I forgot to mention that I slipped up on this trip.  I was talking to Dave on my way in when out of the corner of my eye, I see the Fish and Wildlife boat flag me down.  I reached for my neck holder and noticed I forgot my license in the car.  DOHHHH!!!!

I asked them if they could follow me to the car and I would show them the license.  I also told them I feel bad because I know I should have it on  my person when out fishing but forgot.  They didn't even make much of a stink about it since I had my CA Drivers License on me.  It's all connected and took them 2 minutes to confirm I was a license holder.  Whew!  I still felt bad that I didn't have it on me though.

Sharkinthedark II

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 02:23:37 PM »
Geez! BSB last week, scramble for a maintenance outing and have an epic ride with new toys and toothy friends....ever step in dog turd? MUST BE NICE!!! LOL!  8)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 06:46:50 PM »
Nice going there

I've seen a video of a hooked mako jumping, I can only imagine the excitement you had.

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 11:20:55 AM »
Haha. Your shakedown trip was better than many guys trip(s) offshore. It just shows you must turn over every leaf (strand or paddy) right now.  There can be an epic difference. Straight mono Mako, rusted hook Yellowtail,  and inshore Bluefin blowing up. Awesome trip.

I wonder how many boats flew by that without a thought of checking that speck of kelp out.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 09:55:14 PM »
Always an adventure, glad the Boma is still alive 8)

Nicky

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 12:22:07 PM »
Wow! Sounds like a great day and you broke in the new rod the proper way Mr. Tom!  8)  Hopefully the offshore action you found is just a taste of what maybe coming...Awesome to hear the Boma is back running smooth again! Let me know if you need a deckie!  ;) ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 12:39:33 PM »
Wow! Sounds like a great day and you broke in the new rod the proper way Mr. Tom!  8)  Hopefully the offshore action you found is just a taste of what maybe coming...Awesome to hear the Boma is back running smooth again! Let me know if you need a deckie!  ;) ;D

You bet Nicky!