Author Topic: Installing Magnets in a Torium 30  (Read 15495 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Installing Magnets in a Torium 30
« on: June 29, 2015, 11:34:24 AM »
Well, with my new custom long rod getting here today, I realized my Penn 30 did not have the line capacity that I was looking for.  I switched a few reels around on different rods and opened myself up to putting my Shimano Torium 30 on the new stick.

It doesn't have very good cast control, so I decided to make it a Mag Reel and install some casting magnets.

Step one...  Open up the reel and see what you have to work with.

Step Two... Find a spot to JB weld a nut to that won't interfere with the spool or clicker.

Step 3...  I take a steel bolt and thread it into a nut before grinding it down to the correct angle for a true horizontal fit of the magnet to the spool.

Step 4... J-B Weld.

I coat the entire nut except for the top to prevent rusting.  This is not the most ideal way to install a magnet, but you want to have a good spot for the magnet to attach.  It surprisingly holds up very well to the elements and generally provides years of good service.

I'll generally start with two rare earth button magnets and adjust accordingly.  Adding or subtracting a magnet depending on the cast.

Step 5... After you play around and find the number of magnets that work best, button her up and take the backlash element out of your mind as it is so sweet to have magnets in your long rod's reel!

Once again, there are many ways to add magnets including adjustable knobs on the side plate, but this is simple and very cost effective besides being very effective!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Installing Magnets in a Torium 30
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 04:47:41 PM »
So no more backlashes?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 05:13:59 PM »
Hmmm, good to know for my torium

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 05:19:55 PM »
A little grease on the bare metal and magnet help with the rust.