Author Topic: SD Bay 6/28 Mr T sighting  (Read 14703 times)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
SD Bay 6/28 Mr T sighting
« on: June 29, 2015, 01:05:59 PM »
Launched S.I. at 5pm and paddled toward the mouth to ride the tide in. Water was 68, winds an annoying 10 knots but weakening, and Smashmouth was rockin' the stage over at Humphrey's.

On the way out Mr. Triple outboards buzzes the channel to my port side. As he passes I hear a splash in his wake. I look over and see what looks like a pelican wing. Then not a second later it jumps. Nope not a wing at all but the tail of a juvenile thresher shark. Body was maybe the size of a presto log. It jumped 3 times about 50 yards away. I point my bow towards it and immediately start to throw plastics ( I'm armed with nothing but bass gear btw ). After a few unsuccessful retrieves I figure it sunk out and is long gone.

As I prepare to move along Mr. Twin outboards comes hauling ass inside of me. And sure as hell there's that thresher providing me with an aerial display in the wake. I try and take a pic with my phone but as you may well know wet fingers and touch screens don't mix. Oh well. Metered lots of bait in the area with spots of birds on em which may have lured that shark in the bay. One of the coolest thing I've seen in awhile.

Other than that fishing was a dinkfest. Spotties, flatties, and a lone sculpin but all smaller kine. Out of the water by 9pm. Next bay visit I'll be dragging a mack for sure.  ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: SD Bay 6/28 Mr T sighting
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 01:25:05 PM »
Wow Len! When I got your text, I immediately texted Steve. What a killer thing to witness! Rasta and Keith hooked one in the bay last year.
Killer read. I can't wait to see if you hook one. The DFG guy I was talking to this weekend said their were a lot of crazy life on the bay right now. Even had a report of green jacks.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 02:19:50 PM »
I was hoping you were hooked up when Tom said you were chasing down a jumping thresher. What a cool sight.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 03:54:02 PM »
You guys need to take the Boma out and make waves. Only way the thresher would come up and play haha.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 07:52:16 PM »
You guys need to take the Boma out and make waves. Only way the thresher would come up and play haha.
Soon as I get my boat back with the new trailer!
You have an opening on the Boma BTW!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 10:40:31 PM »
That must've been an awesome sight!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 10:30:03 AM »
very cool. 8)  I was told years ago by a long time salty guys,  that he usually gets bit in boat prop wash.  So I always cast into it when I get buzzed by a boat.  and yes I get alot of bites doing it.  not sure why.
GET OUT AND GET BIT..