Author Topic: LJ am 7/12 quick peek  (Read 14463 times)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
LJ am 7/12 quick peek
« on: July 12, 2015, 07:21:08 PM »
Dry crotch launch outta LJ shores for once. Pulled the ebrake to snap this pic before heading west to what was gonna be a quick peek outside..solo.  :o

Conditions were about as nice as you can get. Ankle slappers, grease calm, 70 degree clear blue water. Bait was around, not plentiful, but if you spent the time you had enough yellowtail snacks for the morning. I opted out of sabiki duty and instead tied on a swimbait in hopes of luring an exotic from behind.

It was cool watching the depthfinder read constant 300' depths until reaching the end of the shelf. Then it quickly dropped to 400', then, 500', to eventually maxing out at 600'. After that it would jump around to random depths. Never maxed out the Humminbird before. Here's a shot right before the disco depths started. Oh and tempbreak! 69 degrees and crystal clear!

The tempbreak and rapid change in depth made for a night and day difference. Dolphin, whales, birds, and more dolphin. All suddenly abundant. Just no bait or fish to be found. All the life seemed to be on the move. Only once did I see bird activity which lasted a brief 60 seconds. I doubt it was fish. My best guess a passenger on the New Seaforth, which was heading offshore toward Catalina, threw out a piece of burned tortilla from his breakfast burrito and the birds swooped in on the free meal. I did throw the jig here and there. Dragged around the plastic some more. I saw a couple skiffs in the area jogging along with the dolphin trolling their offerings but both of them boned out into the horizon. They never stopped for as long as I could see. Lot's of other boats coming out of MB heading non stop into the distance. After a couple of hours of witnessing this I took it as my que hang it up and save it for another day.

I made it out about a mile passed the decommissioned wind buoy which puts me a mere 5 miles out to sea. Located myself on Google maps and confirmed my distance. It was nice listening to everything going on. No idling, no generator, nothing... just nature as it was intended to be. I also found myself talking to myself. And then the inevitable happened. I took a selfie. But with no one else watching, why not!

Headed back to a dry landing in 1 foot mush and home in time for lunch. I did make a quick stop in the kelp to land a skunkbuster spanish jack. And as the fish gods love to do... I caught a glimpse of a yellow bust a U ( or flip me the tail? ) just 10 feet below after pulling the skunkbuster in. Ah well, next time...  :P

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: LJ am 7/12 quick peek
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 08:00:42 PM »
Bummer Len, but you probably saw Steve and I today! LOL

Man, that would have been awesome to see you hooked up to a BFT out there!

... and that yellow flipped you the tail for sure!   ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 03:48:29 PM »
You have some strong shoulders!!! Unless you have a PA, then your quads are strong ;)
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 08:22:23 PM »
Peddle power I wish! Just a Prowler 13 and some energy bars. I was actually surprised how 5 miles went by so fast and when I came back still felt I had enough in me to do it again. Would of been different story if the wind was up though I bet.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 02:31:31 PM »
LOL!!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 03:11:05 PM »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 03:46:53 PM »
Just noticed that and was going to post it.