Author Topic: Wednesday Tuna Hunt  (Read 16445 times)

Nicky

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Wednesday Tuna Hunt
« on: July 16, 2015, 04:54:49 PM »
I got the invite to fish with Mr. Thomas (Tombo808) and Skipper Craig yesterday.  We left Mr. Craig's house at 3:15 ( thank you for driving me Papa!!! ;D)  and were at the bait tank at 4:45-5ish.  The bait wasn't cured and were horse dines and a few macks mixed in but was still very lively.  We made a short run out to the 6 mile bank with 30 or so other boats.  Stopping a little outside we get what we think was a single strand of kelp at first but then we quickly realize the diving Halco was throbbing then POP! Came unbuttoned.  As we were about to reset we see a boomerang start to rise and more meter marks of tuna so we let out slow trolled dines 100yds behind the boat.  Not more than 5 minutes later my reel starts to scream!  This fish took 50yds of line then came right at me so we thought it was probably an angry football.  Boy were we wrong... As the BFT sees the boat he runs back 50yds straight down, great... After another 20minutes or so of this, Mr. Thomas stuck the gaff into a quality fish. 

Sorry if it's pic heavy but I'm Stoked with this fish!

ahhh this fish is pretty heavy and kicks hard!

Man this fish was girthy! Something close to a 3ft girth!

Well the day was just starting and within the first 45minutes we had a quality BFT estimated at around 50-55lbs!

As we picked up and started a quick deck spray down Mr. Thomas's dine gets smashed! After a much shorter fight with a 6'6" rod rather than an 8' meat stick, Mr. Craig goes for the gaff, grazes the fish, sends it going berserk, POP! The 45-50lb class BFT swims away in front of our faces... :( :( :( :-[ Ouch I know that was a tough one to take for Mr. Thomas as that would've been his PB BFT.  To make a long story short we fished all the way up to the CBad powerplant for nothing else just meter marks and a good chance at BFT and YFT mixed boils in the fleet until a sportboat captain (I won't say who)  drives his 23' Parker inbetween all 8 of us boats and OVER ALL THE BOILS instead of going around where he had all the room in the world... Then add insult to injury they drove back on top of the spot were all the boils were and all 5 divers jumped in... Well some true jerks on the radio and fishing grounds today but we ended up with a quality BFT we split 4 ways and some great pieces of this...

I'M STOKED!!!

Thank you for reading

Nicky

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Tuna Hunt
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 08:40:58 PM »
Well done nicky, well done 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 01:02:17 AM »
Well done nicky, well done 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

^^ yup yup! You're living the dream!! I love me some tuna belly, especially the bluefin variety!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 04:25:39 AM »
Great trip.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 06:12:46 AM »
...until a sportboat captain (I won't say who)  drives his 23' Parker inbetween all 8 of us boats and OVER ALL THE BOILS instead of going around where he had all the room in the world... Then add insult to injury they drove back on top of the spot were all the boils were and all 5 divers jumped in... Well some true jerks on the radio and fishing grounds today but we ended up with a quality BFT we split 4 ways and some great pieces of this...

Sounds like the New Seaforth owner to me.  He's been spearfishing big Bluefin and a d!ckhead move by him in his own boat wouldn't surprise me on how he handles the New Seaforth...

Well done guys and congrats Nicky!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Nicky

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 07:14:38 AM »
Thanks guys!  I'm very fortunate to fish as much as I do.  ;D

...until a sportboat captain (I won't say who)  drives his 23' Parker inbetween all 8 of us boats and OVER ALL THE BOILS instead of going around where he had all the room in the world... Then add insult to injury they drove back on top of the spot were all the boils were and all 5 divers jumped in... Well some true jerks on the radio and fishing grounds today but we ended up with a quality BFT we split 4 ways and some great pieces of this...

Sounds like the New Seaforth owner to me.  He's been spearfishing big Bluefin and a d!ckhead move by him in his own boat wouldn't surprise me on how he handles the New Seaforth...

Thank you Mr. Tom!  Ahhh not a secret anymore! Yup Brian Castleton.  I've been on the The New Seaforth before and Captain RJ was cool about giving people space but never with Castleton...  I still can't believe they did that ran literally over all the fish 8 boats were casting at and came back over it again and dumped his divers.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 07:21:51 AM »

Thank you Mr. Tom!  Ahhh not a secret anymore! Yup Brian Castleton.  I've been on the The New Seaforth before and Captain RJ was cool about giving people space but never with Castleton...  I still can't believe they did that ran literally over all the fish 8 boats were casting at and came back over it again and dumped his divers.

Wow! I somehow missed this part. I'm friends with Brian, kind of surprised. Maybe I don't know him that well. 
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Nicky

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 07:40:13 AM »

Wow! I somehow missed this part. I'm friends with Brian, kind of surprised. Maybe I don't know him that well.

Sorry if I sounded like it but I wasn't trying to bash him or anything, just show how many people were gunning away for another area but putting down the fish around others.  That's all.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 08:42:29 AM »

Sorry if I sounded like it but I wasn't trying to bash him or anything, just show how many people were gunning away for another area but putting down the fish around others.  That's all.

No worries Nicky! Unfortunately a lot of sportboat captains act like they own the ocean and are entitled to kelp paddies and breaking fish over the private boater that found it. I've seen it enough times as a passenger on the sport boat and on the private boat.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 08:51:37 AM »
Quality fish Nicky.  8)

Nicky

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile