Author Topic: SBS mission Bay tournament. last Sat.  (Read 14883 times)

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
SBS mission Bay tournament. last Sat.
« on: July 24, 2015, 11:55:20 AM »
 Jonny and I fished the SBS Mission bay tournament Sat.  We started out of Dana landing at 05:00.  We saw some lightning way out west as we made our way out of the channel.  I took note of it but it was way away from us, so we headed south to do our thing in Point Loma.  It was still dark and I didnt want to head to the IB pipe, so we stopped on a reef I like and started to work.   We were throwing 5inch and 6in big Pancho swimbaits with 1.5 oz war heads.  It didnt take long to get a bite going.  First fish second cast was a 5.54 calico which took second big fish for the day.  lots of smalls before we found a few more good ones on the spot.  Then here comes a storm from the south right up the coast line.  we kept a close eye on it as it was firing like mad. As we set up for another drift on the spot the rods and antenna started to buzz and pop.  I told jonny to pull the antenna and I dropped the rods just a  strike plowed just off the bow.  we fired the boat up and headed south under the storm to clear weather behind it.  a few boats headed north and took a beating.  We had strikes just yrds from the boat with instant head rattling lightning.  We fished around the storm and went back to our spot but it was off.  Probably due to the lightning.  Hit up some deep and shallow kelp for good bites but nothing to stick.  Jonny got one to stick and cull a small fish out.  Then another storm from the SW chased us off there.  We headed inside 6ft of water and fished some nice beach we like.  There were no swells or breaking waves all along PL.  It was nice to see.  the bite was real slow though.  We missed our opportunity before the storms.  Then all of a sudden a rouge set showed up.  first was ok steep we moved out and south to less breaking water. second stood up in front of us and I had to wait and take the white water.  I gunned it to get us out as the last two waves pushed us way back in.  but the third was too quick and no side door was open.  I just moved into it watching the top getting white and not breaking.  to steep and shallow jump it I waited for the break and punched through the top taking a great saltwater bath over the bow.  We had about a ft. of water in the boat and I jammed out to get clear and clear the deck..  Yee Hawww.  It was getting interesting now.  The main storm of the day was there and we ran for La Jolla,  just to be chased all the way there and get wrecked while there.  We finally called it when the rods went off again and had a strike a few yards in the kelp..We headed in to the bay  to try and cull a few 14.5 in fish.  almost did it a couple times but the rain was too much and we headed in around 1 to weigh in.  Unfortunately the two 14.5 in fish hurt us in the total weight,  But I got second big fish  Crazy day but so epic and fun.  I loved it. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

The approaching storm..

The Bag that should have been..lol

Spawning cheeks

yep hands and feet were water logged

couple of the better ones.

GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: SBS mission Bay tournament. last Sat.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 10:53:44 PM »
Wow, that 1st pic is awesome!!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 08:12:46 AM »
You guys got some serious juevos to stick it out in that chaos! Congrats on the pay check and 2nd biggest bass!

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 11:32:48 AM »
It was crazy out there.  the Good and bad thing is the storms stayed together as they passed.  Bad for lightning and rain.  Good we didnt have any crazy down draft winds.  the water stayed calm. :o
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 06:31:10 AM »
You guys got some serious juevos to stick it out in that chaos!

I concur, but nice set of bass and congrat on that nice piggy Calico!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 12:41:56 AM »
That first pic is killer and worth a frame in the garage (or somewhere). Love the lightning pop!!

8) 8)