Author Topic: The Cards We Are Dealt (9/6)  (Read 14258 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
The Cards We Are Dealt (9/6)
« on: September 07, 2014, 08:17:19 AM »
We got the call to head offshore and hopefully beat out the rough weather from the hurricane.  We got down to the ramp to BLOWING wind.  This was apparently going to be a bumpy ride.

The bait was crap compared to the last scoops we got, but we have to live with the cards we are dealt.  Don wanted to switch things up and head down south instead of staying in US waters to try and change things up.

It was a really snotty ride out there as the wind waves and swell from the WNW was the worst.  We finally came upon a big old paddy and took a shot.  Don instantly got ripped on the iron and Steve and I were quickly following with bent rods on Rat Yellows.  I decided to reject the baits and tied on an assortment of lures since I had the bass stick with me.  Let me say catching them on the Zara Spook was pretty friggand awesome.

We moved on to the next paddy and found more of the same.  We kept a bunch and released just as many more before moving on.

Don decided to put the trollers out as we hit some 74.5 degree clean water.  We had a nice spreadof good looking feathers and plugs out.  Steve was up in the tuna tower when he said "Hammerhead!"  Unfortunately, we were so close it spooked him and he bolted.  I had a steel leader shark rig tied up just in case.  A little further in the troll and Steve yells "Marlin!"

Withing second the Outrigger rod goes BENDO! Fish on!  Next troller, BENDO!!!  DOUBLE MARLIN!  Third rod get hit, but unbuttons!  Almost 3 marlin!  Unfortunately the hook pulled on one, but the one I was fighting jumped out of the water and was a big old Striped Marlin!  But as the cards were dealt to us, we couldn't mange any boatside.   :'(
Oh well, but it sure got the blood flowing and was really awesome to be a part of.

We trolled and trolled and trolled just to find and stop on some barren paddies. Don started to head North instead as the swell was in our face now and made for a SUPER bumpy ride.  Along the way we trolled up some yellowtail and managed a skippy that was ALL lit up. 

We came across some of the biggest paddys I've ever seen!  I don't know if it is from the approaching hurricane or what, but some were at least 100'x100'! 
We found one with no one around.  Don saw a jumping dodo and we made a few drifts for one small yellow for steve.  I chunked up a bunch of dead dine and chummed the paddy.  on the next pass, I het hit and "Fish On!"...."Fish Off!"  the bait came back with teeth marks, so I knew it was dodo.  On the next pass, I get him!

All LIT up!  Not really big, but a hell of a fight and you gotta love those colors...

We pull up for a few more passes and in the meantime, I get lose another and Bam!  Bigger model on the small gear!

With the outriggers and all of the trollers, it was a miracle I could run the gaunlet around the boat to boat them!

Going for the kill....  swing and a miss... but he stayed on!

Gotcha!

Glory shot...

We trolled to the next few monster paddies and found noone home.  It was too late and we had to run and gun to get back to the barn.  A lot of guys caught the yellowfin, but not us unfortunately.  We ended up with double limits of yellows, along with skipjack and dodo.  It was a little bummer that we couldn't find the YFT, but it sounds like we should have stayed north.

It was a fantastic time out there as usual since being fishing offshore is better than being a Land Lubber for the day.  Time to clean fish and get ready for NFL Sunday!  Go JETS!!!!!

Thanks for reading and Tight Lines!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: The Cards We Are Dealt (9/6)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 09:06:26 AM »
Long ass day. I had a great time and saw some cool fish. Unfortunately I was relegated to farmer again, getting bit off on my only quality fish. Next time.

Thanks, Don, for a fun day on the water.

Gofishgobig

• Shovelnose
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 09:24:56 AM »
Great crew as always! Time to mix the cards up and put the wood to those damn YFT! The Marlin hookups were EPIC!
Tight lines....

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 09:36:42 AM »
Thats awesome guys.   8) bass gear is some fun stuff. 
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 09:03:54 PM »
Pishhhh... I didn't miss much... ;)

3 hooked marlin would have been enough for me! Great trip considering the conditions. Skippies are purty fish! I love catching them. So under-rated and under-appreciated.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 12:53:02 PM »
Awesome pics 8) Looks like you might need a bigger freezer Tom ;) Any concerns about the fish being contaminated with radiation from Japan ? It's always in the back of my mind when I head to the Coast :-\

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 08:45:25 PM »
Nice work out there as usual, In tough conditions to boot. Triple bill fish is pretty damn epic! Sweet pic's Tommy and nice variety.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 06:54:06 AM »
LOL, thanks guys.

Tim, no worries here.  Plenty other things will kill you quicker and in a much worse way than the potential for a small dose of radiation. 
You can't catch them from your computer chair.