Author Topic: Offshore Friday 8/7/15  (Read 16068 times)

Nicky

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Offshore Friday 8/7/15
« on: August 11, 2015, 11:15:35 AM »
Here you go Mr. Thomas!!!  :lol: I can't thank you enough for giving me the opportunity to enjoy offshore fishing with you guys! :D

So Friday I headed out with Skipper Craig, Mr. Mark, and Mr. Andy.  With boat problems, Mr. Thomas headed out on another boat.  We started our day in the water at 4:00am and a healthy scoop of 5"-8" dines ( 15pieces of scraggly stuff from one tank and great cured stuff from another tank).  With manageable weather, we headed north offshore.  Pretty bumpy crashing down hard on swell, but hey I like it as you don't get used to it and not seasick! :D Along the way I get up on top and spot a small paddy. Not scraggly but trashcan lid type, nada.  A couple minutes of running later we see hard working terns, a small meter mark, we chunk, still nada.  So we get up to Oside and we see boats stopped.  We respectfully slide and chunk for nothing.  Turns out everyone was on a nice paddy and all we only see a small dodo landed.  Ok so the water from Point Loma-Oside is aboslutely prime but void of life... We decide to just head back and try to find a meter mark and chunk on it.  Along the way back we see a huge fin 3ft out of the water at 500yds away. Grabbed the binoculars and its brown, shaped like a big hammerhead, pretty cool!  Even with a Red Bull Mr. Mark and I are falling asleep up top in the swell.  Drearily, Mr. Mark sees a fin, PORPOISE! We troll around them for nada.  Eventually we see 6 boats stopped way off a paddy, 200+yds away drifting, all the passengers were not really motivated fishing more less all sitting.  Up top, I start to see fish boiling on bait into the paddy.  Respectfully we slide on it and start to chunk.  Thinking they were Yellowtail, I threw a Tady 45 and some dodos followed it! We start seeing freejumpers eating our chum and we launch out flyline baits. BAM triple hookup on NICE dodos!  Jumping 3-4ft out of the water, they barf, flinging 4-5 baitfish!

26lb hen

The other boats somehow just sprang to life and all run back on top of the paddy!  Meanwhile, we had a bite a bit faster than a plunker bite with dodos following the chunk!  The whole 2 hours we were there 2 dodos were hooked by other boats. One by an awesome 5-6 year old kid who whooped it on a large coffee grinder! Awesome stuff!

31lb bull

Well they went skittish after that.  They were all good ones 18-33lbs ish with one little 11lber.  We landed 14 of them; Mr. Andy with 6, me 4, Mr. Mark 3, and Mr. Craig 1.  Funny thing was the last fish ate three baits! All three guys were "tangled" but ended up roping in a smaller hen.  :lol:

With full killbags, we head in to fillet fish. Along the way with irons tied on, we found some working birds in the kelp.  We stop and find some cuda and rat yellowtail around 3-4lbs.  Mr. Andy lands a nice easily 32-34" cuda and I release a small 20"er.  We never stuck one of the following rats so we headed in with lots of filleting and vacuum sealing to do.  :lol:

We ended up with 14 dodos and a big cuda.

Thank you again for the invite Mr. Thomas!

Thanks for reading!

Nicky

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Offshore Friday 8/7/15
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 11:28:42 AM »
Your a offshore machine Nicky! Nice work on the dodos!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 12:05:38 PM »
You're getting more rides offshore than me, Nicky!  lol

Way to go and get them DoDo!!!!!  8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 09:53:22 PM »
My wife just asked why I can't catch Mahi like Nicky ...  >:(

She's tired of tuna (already).

Nicky

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 09:21:12 AM »
Thank you Mr. Josh!

You're getting more rides offshore than me, Nicky!  lol

Way to go and get them DoDo!!!!!  8)

Thank you Mr. Tom! I think that may be my last trip until October... Dang school!  :P

My wife just asked why I can't catch Mahi like Nicky ...  >:(

She's tired of tuna (already).

Mr. Dave, I kidd you not I have easily 20-22 lbs of dodo.  Probably more all vacuum sealed, you can swing by if you want some.  ;D

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 07:40:48 PM »
Thank you Mr. Josh!

Drop the mister ;) I ain't THAT old, like these other barnacles round here B) though to you I guess I am your "elder"

Get your book learnin in while it's free, you can't go back, the feesh don't seem to be goin anywhere anytime soon. And based on your latest escapade with your uncle tombo you did plenty of damage this summer!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 08:07:34 AM by j.rasta »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 06:18:00 AM »
Thank you Mr. Josh!

Drop the mister ;) I ain't THAT old, like these other barnacles round here B) though t9980 Huennekens St
San Diego, CA  92121
United Stateso you I guess I am your "elder"

Get your book learnin in while it's free, you can't go back, the feesh don't seem to be goin anywhere anytime soon. And based on your latest escapade with your uncle tombo you did plenty of damage this summer!

That's funny, one of the members mentioned you as a 40 year old to me a month ago and I didn't correct them because I agreed.  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 08:13:02 AM »
Thank you Mr. Josh!

Drop the mister ;) I ain't THAT old, like these other barnacles round here B) though to you I guess I am your "elder"

That's funny, one of the members mentioned you as a 40 year old to me a month ago and I didn't correct them because I agreed.  lol

Oh really?!?  One of my buddy's said it was cool that I fish with my grampas buddys, and asked if I picked you all up from the Ole folks home or do they get em a shuttle bus?

Willis said he will be offshore in the baracoochi on sunday, since you don't like anyone's company who's not an AARP member :p

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 12:54:19 PM »
Where can I catch this shuttle bus? Thanks sonny.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 04:57:13 PM »
Where can I catch this shuttle bus? Thanks sonny.

Jus hit the non emergency button on your life alert bracelet and tell the lady that calls you, you forgot where you were goin and they'll take you wherever you wanna go ;) cmon tomm my boy I'm anxiously waiting B)

Sry for the thread jack Nicky been a slow week for the rest of us obviously B)

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 08:59:19 AM »
very nice..
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile