Author Topic: Mission Bay Conditions  (Read 3113 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Mission Bay Conditions
« on: January 20, 2016, 06:38:27 AM »
The "Poop" signs are still up in the back bay.  Lots of bait swimming around and bigger stuff chasing it, but few fish caught and even fewer bites.  We all had  a shot but that was about it.  He'll have to post a report if you are going to believe he caught any.   :o ;D

Anyway, the bats moved somewhere and need to find them.  The last two weeks in the bay have stunk.

Oh, and Josh somehow got an 8/0 hook through the face of a biting smelt.  Great fire and hanging out with everyone.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
Re: Mission Bay Conditions
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 07:54:10 AM »
The last two weeks in the bay have stunk.

Pun?

6 Million Gallons of South San Diego Sh!t ... no thanks. Hope you disinfected everything at home  ;D ;D ;D

Nicky

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 08:12:50 AM »
Despite the "Poop" Mission Bay is still alive! The fish are still there from what my dad and I have seen the last few trips but they're just lock jawed. We've been chasing the bird schools but we haven't been able to stick anything under them except a few jumbo smelt but we have seen the bait is micro 1-1/2" bay chovie. The over abundance of the jumbo smelt leads us to think that's what's under the birds feeding instead of the more desired species people want to chase. You can tell the smelt are thick as they bump your lures everywhere we've been! Might be a smelt spawn. Hope this helps!
Nicky

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 08:40:50 AM »
The last two weeks in the bay have stunk.

Pun?

6 Million Gallons of South San Diego Sh!t ... no thanks. Hope you disinfected everything at home  ;D ;D ;D

Josh was wading in up to his waste.  I think he liked the feeling.  lol

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 08:42:23 AM »
Despite the "Poop" Mission Bay is still alive! The fish are still there from what my dad and I have seen the last few trips but they're just lock jawed. We've been chasing the bird schools but we haven't been able to stick anything under them except a few jumbo smelt but we have seen the bait is micro 1-1/2" bay chovie. The over abundance of the jumbo smelt leads us to think that's what's under the birds feeding instead of the more desired species people want to chase. You can tell the smelt are thick as they bump your lures everywhere we've been! Might be a smelt spawn. Hope this helps!
Nicky

Yep, we saw some vina and big smelt.  It's been a while since I small rod fished the bay.  Thanks for the updates, Nicky.   :D

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 04:01:41 PM »
Sounds like a fly lined thin strip of squid would be pretty fun for some big 'ol smelt!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)