Author Topic: Halibut And Sand Bass Windy AM Report 5/24/16  (Read 1866 times)

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Halibut And Sand Bass Windy AM Report 5/24/16
« on: May 24, 2016, 05:22:18 PM »
Woke up early this morning and started to get ready, and I heard the wind blowing. Uh-Oh. Get in the car and start driving to the beach and it started to rain. Got some coffee and headed to the sand. Thankfully when I got to the beach, there was no rain. The wind was a different story though. Wasn't as bad as Saturday morning.

New line, new hooks and I'm gonna give it a go. The first spot I tried in the dark was fishable, but I was getting salad on every cast. There was a very strong south surge flowing this morning, cast far right and it would be far left in a matter of seconds. No bites, I think I saw a few baitfish around.

Tried a different spot in the near light. (I re-tied) I did see a Calico out on my left jump out of the water. White caps were rolling in fast as I tried to time my casts over them. Got a really nice hit to my left in close and it felt big, was on the line for ten seconds and pulling, but then it popped off and all I got was salad on my trebles.

Start working the area for another 20 minutes and I get hit with a Nice Sand Bass strike. These fish fight good! Couple pics and back in she went.

Sand Bass

Re-tied, went back out and the tide was filling in faster and faster, A lot of whitewash around. Time was running out. After another 15 minutes goes in I cast out to a spot I hadn't hit yet. Slow retrieve, pause, twitch, twitch reel slow. Repeat and only about 5 feet from me I feel a hit and paused patiently and set the hook! This fish even though short gave a real nice fight in the surf conditions and made a few nice drag runs.
Target acquired after a few pics I headed off the beach. Glad I beat the winds today.

Halibut

19 inches

Really like the colors on this Halibut and I saw what looked like an abrasion on top. I did see Sammy the Seal today, but he was much further out. It's funny how they sit there and stare at you, like what are you doing with my fish?

Thanks for reading and good luck out there! Be safe.

Joel 8)

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Halibut And Sand Bass Windy AM Report 5/24/16
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 10:33:52 AM »
damn Joel one em. liking it.
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Halibut And Sand Bass Windy AM Report 5/24/16
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 09:28:57 AM »
On fire, Joel!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.