Author Topic: MB Bay Ray hookup on a Bass Rod  (Read 2077 times)

Pagzzz

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
MB Bay Ray hookup on a Bass Rod
« on: March 20, 2015, 08:49:31 AM »
(sorry for the cross-post from SCSF and SDFish sites, but I had to share this)

Headed out this evening to Mission Bay for a quick session on the backside of Fiesta island. Caught a super-small spottie about half an hour in while cruising the shoreline. I was fishing with a 5" Kalin lunker grub on a t-rig on a 12-20lb 7' bass rod and Revo S baitcaster. Certainly fine for most of the fishy critters in the area.  30lb braid to 12lb flouro leader.

Then hooked into a very unexpected adventure! As soon as I hooked up after a long cast, line started peeling off the reel. I tightened the drag all the way, to absolutely no effect. Then the damn thing JUMPED OUT OF THE WATER about 60 yards off the beach. I couldn't tell at the time if it was a shark or ray, but it soon became evident it was a large bat ray from the turbulent wakes on the surface as it cruised up and down the beach. I followed it for about 50 yards in one direction, then 100 yards in the other direction towards a floating dock in the Hidden Anchorage part of Fiesta Island, all while about 20 yards from the shoreline. I could almost see it! The video below is of the ray taking line while on a run. My setup was maxed out, but I'm not even sure the ray knew it was hooked! A group of kayakers followed along curious about the fight, but didn't move when I advised them it could take a run in their direction. SMH

Eventually, it lodged itself in the mud and wouldn't move and I couldn't pull with enough drag (even a little thumb on the spool) to make a difference. Eventually about 15 minutes into the fight, the line broke at the hook.

That would have been an epic tale to land a big bat on 12lb bass gear, but would have been pretty unlikely. EPIC! I would not have expected a Bat ray to pounce on a grub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6hUfk6LqEY

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: MB Bay Ray hookup on a Bass Rod
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 11:27:18 AM »
I've run down that road before, but you need everything to go right in order to beach a beast on little gear. Killer experience And thanks for sharing.   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: MB Bay Ray hookup on a Bass Rod
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 11:37:27 AM »
Would have been awesome to sit on the side lines and watch  8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect