Author Topic: Grunion runs this weekend  (Read 2848 times)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Grunion runs this weekend
« on: May 03, 2016, 04:43:44 PM »
10:20-12:20 on Saturday. Granted it is closed season so only observation but the predators don't care.

Not many runs this year on Saturday. I'll have my butt on a beach somewhere.

Jim

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Grunion runs this weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 04:54:48 PM »
Finding the right beach will be the challenge.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 06:34:50 PM »
I swear, almost everytime, that I've managed to be among grunion running on a beach, were times that I was was totally unaware that it was a predicted run night and gave zero consideration to the fact when deciding to be wherever I was at the time. All the times, except for once,  that I've intentionally tried to target them, and put myself in the middle of one, or even was aware that a run was predicted, haven't seen a one of them.  It's completely uncanny and makes no sense to me, but apparently the fishing gods have made this their running joke on me. The last run I happened into I was Bat fishing, didn't check a run chart, and thought I was just "seeing things"in my peripheral vision at first, from being a bit sleep deprived at the time.It took a bit for me to put 2 & 2 together and realize I wasn't having paranoid delusions but there actually was a bunch of people with bright flashlights heading towards me from several directions. LOL....No point to this reply really, sorry, just felt like babblin....uhmm.. Move to PUI sticky?

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 06:36:50 PM by LONGCAST JOE »

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 08:11:40 PM »
I've seen one on accident at Mission beach after a concert. Probably will be in one this time since it is the no take months.

Not sure what beach I will hit Mike but I know it will not be the soup kitchen.

Jim

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 08:22:14 PM »
I've only seen 2 grunion runs, both were on accident. Once at TP the other OB.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 08:24:21 PM »
I've heard OB is a pretty consistent spot for grunion. I'd go there 1st, especially with all that amazing structure down there. I know of plenty of soups and 7s caught from the pier there.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
I've heard OB is a pretty consistent spot for grunion. I'd go there 1st, especially with all that amazing structure down there. I know of plenty of soups and 7s caught from the pier there.

OB tends to have higher surf than other places. I'd like to hit it again after the one trip where I got my braid broken by massive kelp balls.

Will check the cams Saturday and decide

Jim.