Author Topic: 29 Aug Another solo session-a leo kept the stripe off my back!  (Read 1855 times)

Castmaster

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Got to the beach around 5:00PM.  Tide was low and transitioning to high.  Cut a mack in half, stuck the head portion, and ripped it out.  From about 5:30 to 6:45 I had four nice hits. It was ripping out line but every time I was about to pick up the rod it dropped it.  Checked the mack head a couple of times it was pretty much undamaged except for the belly section which was flattened.  Definitely a bat ray has been playing with it.  Sun was setting.  Decided to change the bait, and hooked the tail half of the mack.  Double hooked it and wrapped the hook to the body with the magic thread to make sure if didn't fell apart on the cast.  Slung it out as far as I can and success!  The magic thread worked.  At about 7:15PM the sun had dipped under the horizon.  I was debating whether to stay a bit more or just accept the fact that I'm getting the stripe.  Started packing some of my gear, when I heard the dinner bell.  Line peeling out and my rod at bendo.  Hookup!  This time it stuck!  Turned out to be a nice leo which was barely hooked.  Got it to the beach, unhooked it and quick release.  Whew! Way to get the stripe off my back. 

Video: https://youtu.be/ko3GxUsG8Zg

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: 29 Aug Another solo session-a leo kept the stripe off my back!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 09:37:11 AM »
Nice leo!  I love those last minute skunk busters!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: 29 Aug Another solo session-a leo kept the stripe off my back!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
Much congrats, getting to where I forget what a leo even looks like  :(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect