Author Topic: Intro / First report  (Read 3804 times)

EdgarP9

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Intro / First report
« on: May 14, 2016, 12:16:25 AM »
     Hey guys , I'm gonna try to keep this short. Ive discovered a new way of "relief" for the sickness I've had all my life .Thanx to a few friends on this VERY COOL site i finally got into long-rodding sharking whatever you guys call it about 2 months ago. Now my sickness has gone much worse as I've made my self some more memories of THE ONES that got away LOL (not mentioning some that didn't, ill get to that a lil later).
     Thanx to Verne , Ron, Sean and some more cool guys , i got to feel what i really wanted setup wise, so i ended up buying a Penn Fathom 25n with a okuma longitude 12' H rated 20-40 and 3-8 oz. The sweet spot for my rod depending on the rig is 5-6oz in my opinion . i started off fishing with 300 yds of 65lb braid and as much 60 pound top shot i could fit . I learned my lessons quite quick , actually i was taught my lessons by some beasts. I respooled after being broken off multiple times, not only that because i think with heavier line the fish doesn't "die" in the wash , and it also shortens the fight specially on big rays by at least 5 minutes. Now i fish 300yds of 80lb braid to about 20ft of  80lb or 100lb mono , depending on what i have at hand.

My First few fish on the long rod were epic as i had no clue how much harder it is to pull in a 100lb plus animal maybe even 200lb plus to the sand on it... My first REAL catch was a 50" bat on this setup , thats when i was fishing 65 to 60 , and it Kicked my ass soo bad i was done for the night pretty much lol . Ive had 2 Leos on the setup so far biggest being lower 50" range , one shovel , a few bass , a sculpin , grass rockfish . i think thats about it . Heres a few pics 50" bat

Sean with a Lobster
My Shovel
My Biggest Leo so far on the long rod (and weirdest face in a pic).

Last but not Least ,probably the most noteworthy , this past Tuesday i landed myself a PB absolute beast bat , Sean was there and can definitely back me up , this thing was a monster... 57" bat
Im kind of bummed because i really wanted pics to testify for the size of this beast but my spaniard friend did otherwise ... so technically first post and a hall of fame post , but i don't have a pic to justify , welcome to another day in my life .

Thanx for reading , hope you enjoyed it , and hope to bump into some of you guys soon ;)
Until the next tide !

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Intro / First report
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 12:40:59 AM »
Way to go get them Edgar. Would really like to hook up again one of these days.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 12:58:26 AM »
57" is a beast of a Bat! Congrats and welcome to the board, even though I'm sure we've all seen you on the blue site :D!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 01:11:10 AM »
Right on boss!  Great intro post and welcome aboard!

Those are some legit models of Cartilaginous fish!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 04:53:07 AM »
That last pic is killer. Way better than some tape shot.

EdgarP9

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 09:52:27 AM »
57" is a beast of a Bat! Congrats and welcome to the board, even though I'm sure we've all seen you on the blue site :D!
Thank you , and I'm sure we have, not sure if we've met personally but I've drooled on a lot of your posts  ::)

EdgarP9

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 09:56:45 AM »
Way to go get them Edgar. Would really like to hook up again one of these days.
Lets do it , because of my weird work schedule, I'm limited to monday and tuesday for now. kind of sucks but better than nothing .
Right on boss!  Great intro post and welcome aboard!

Those are some legit models of Cartilaginous fish!
Thank you very much sir .
That last pic is killer. Way better than some tape shot.
in my opinion , that last pic looks like a largemouth guys picture , trying to make it look HUGE lol

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 09:59:12 AM »
I know you  ;)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 11:45:25 AM »
Killer post!!! Congrats on the fish and welcome to the site.

That black fog is creepy as hell though. Did you strike a deal with the devil to fish his spot? Ha ha ... just kidding. Being more selective about which way the camera points will help that.

Nice job.

SurffishingSean

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 01:56:16 PM »
Sweet report Edgar! That is the biggest bat ray i've ever seen or heard of being caught. I knew it had my PB beat when i was leadering the fish. 57" and a true surf behemoth. Time for some sharks for real...

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 03:35:57 PM »
Nice going Edger, welcome to the site.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 06:03:26 PM »
Welcome! Those are some pigs!!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 01:47:23 AM »
You got the catching of beasts down, now to work on the Photoshopping skills  ;)

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

EdgarP9

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 12:06:58 AM »
Thanx a lot , and trust me i have 0 photoshop skills ;D