Author Topic: Not Sure What To Make Of This Morning (7/16)  (Read 2000 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Not Sure What To Make Of This Morning (7/16)
« on: July 16, 2016, 11:45:46 AM »
So I had plans on fishing the surf with artificials looking for some bass or butt to grill up later in the day.  I got up at 4:15 am and took off with high hopes of success.  If I kept short hand notes, this is how it would go...

1)  Beach #1 looks great!  Little weed on the sand and looks like nothing in the water. 
---------->Reality was the water was full of chopped salad, but the current was holding it all at the bottom.  Made 50 casts and never got the lure back with no weeds.  Time to drive on...

2) Beach #2 looks the same.  Only this time I see all the chopped salad.  I tie on a weedless swimbait and get one bump, but otherwise another 50 casts and the weedless leadhead still picked up piles of grass.  Time to move on, so I got in the truck to next stop.

3) Beach #3 looked HORRIBLE.  TOTALLY unfishable.  Not even trying.  Break down and head to the bay to salvage the morning.

4) Bay Spot #1 looked good except for all the fishermen on the beach.  I worked up and down the beach for a handful of misses and finally scored a SBB and a Sandy.  I'm sort of good, but the people started appearing so it was time for me to leave.  Hit another spot and drive to some rocks.

5) Bay Spot #2 looked great.  Bait popping and everything.  I got one stinking bump and nothing else.  Time to move on.

6) Bay Spot #3 looked promising... Heard some little baby animal cries and something beneath the rock I was standing on.  Looked down to see a skunk and jumped.  It jumped too and puffed out its tail!  CRAP!!!!!!  I think its den with babies was below me, so I moved down the rocks a bit.  Made a few casts and got another small bass, but this time it was a Calico bass for the Baby Bass Slam.  A few casts later and I get a scooter barracuda, followed by a second.  I wore out my welcome and moved one and last final time.

7) Bay Spot #4...  two taps on my swimmy's tail and that was a wrap.  I worked it hard for the little I got, but I got....

I tried at least a dozen different baits and used all three rods I brought downso I tried everything for what I brought.

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Not Sure What To Make Of This Morning (7/16)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 12:15:37 PM »
At least you got out. I'm just waiting for the sun to drop some more.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 04:23:24 PM »
This is one of those posts, like so many others tucked away on this site, that could a gem for someone new trying to figure out SoCal shorefishing because, although it may be second nature for most of us, it shows the thought process involved in AO selection on the fly when conditions arent perfect. Read and learn kids...
JOE

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 04:40:22 PM »
I would have called it by the third stop.  ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 10:17:14 PM »
Imagine if you caught no fish ... and got sprayed ... How could you possibly explain that to your wife.  ;D ;D ;D

At least you avoided the skunk (both literally and metaphorically)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 06:55:03 AM »
Imagine if you caught no fish ... and got sprayed ... How could you possibly explain that to your wife.  ;D ;D ;D

At least you avoided the skunk (both literally and metaphorically)

Well, just be warned if you go rock fishing anytime soon.  I've seen a lot of skunks in my life, but never saw one puff its tail up at me before and get all agro!  Especially literally being a foot away!  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 08:38:03 PM »
Nice report Tom. Wow, the fishing looks like it has been slow. Ive been so damn busy, I cant wait to get out tomorrow and try. Seems like from the reports its slow goin!

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 09:22:05 PM »
Nice report Tom. Wow, the fishing looks like it has been slow. Ive been so damn busy, I cant wait to get out tomorrow and try. Seems like from the reports its slow goin!
Well none of us hit it at 3:30am like you do Joel, you'll get somethin  ;)