Author Topic: Up & Over Rig  (Read 4509 times)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Up & Over Rig
« on: July 30, 2016, 04:30:07 PM »
So here's a rig I've been tinkering with and had some success with my last few seshes for SNGF and sand bass at least. Like anything else it's uses are situational, but seems to do best when there's not much if any salad and on non-snaggy bottomswhere there is an ebb and flow of current to take advantage of the long length of line the baited hook is tied onto.I've been tying it with the hook on an 8' length of line off the main line which theoretically means your bait could get 16' of drift in along the bottom when the current from a swell pushes towards the shore and then 16' back out the other way when the swell action creates a receding flow, back and forth, etc...

The diagram is not to scale...but length B (from 3-way swivel to hook) needs to be twice as long as length A (rig clip to other leg of 3-way swivel)

For the cast then 8' section of line is run up (4') to the upside down rig clip and then back down (4') where the baited hook goes into some kind of bait clip. In the pics I'm using an imp shield and in the diagram it's a gemini splash down clip but an imp clip should work as well but yould have to be more precise on the lengths of line felative to each other.

ignore the line going straight left in the diagram, it now goes up and over the rig clip and back down into the bait clip.

Here's a close up of the gemini rig clip up top that holds the line during the cast until splash down, when the bait clip releases the baited hook and the line will release from this rig clip as it falls through the water to the bottom.

the orange line would be your main line or shock leader tying on

here's the bottom half, but a regular 3-way swivel could be used in place of the rolling barrel on a crimp sleeve as in the pic.
Not to be confusing but in this pic the orange line leads to my hook

http://www.gemini-tackle.co.uk/listings.asp?id=220
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 04:54:04 PM by LONGCAST JOE »

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Up & Over Rig
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 04:53:08 PM »
ooops, you might want to move this to the lure and rigs section

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Up & Over Rig
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 08:27:07 PM »
Dude... you are like a mad scientist for surf shark rigs.  Lov'in it!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.