Author Topic: My current casting shark rig.  (Read 32943 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
My current casting shark rig.
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:00:51 AM »
 I was making up some rigs to replace the 4 I lost a couple weeks ago and thought I would snap a few pics of my current set up. It is not the only rig I use, and the methods are not all my own invention, but more of a gleaning from the successes and failures from my experience and those of others.

Anyway, here we go.

First, tools and materials.

135# Nylon Coated Stainless Cable (24")
1mm Double Sleeve Copper Crimps (4)
3-Way Swivels (tossed the bag, not sure what size) (1)
Hook of Choice (I like 10/0 octopus)
Heat Shrink Tubing (1 1/2" of 3/8" diameter) (2)
80# mono (2 1/2')
Sinker of Choice (1)

Hand Crimper (cup to cup)
Lighter
High Power Reading Glasses

Assembly

First, I tie an offshore loop around the eye of the hook and double crimp it.

Then I slide a section of heat shrink over the knot and the crimps and shrink it down while keeping the hook in my desired position.

Then, this is important, slide the remaining two crimps and heat shrink tubing onto the cable before making another offshore loop around the swivel. Double crimp here as well.

And shrink tube.

To another eye of the swivel, I tie the 80# mono, and attach a sinker. I like the sputnik type.

Ready to fish.

Post up how you make yours, I'd like to see what is working for other folks.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: My current casting shark rig.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:14:37 AM »
Great write up Steve!  I like the glasses in the first picture though.  8)

My rig is almost identical,  so I'm good.  Proven success.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 10:14:43 AM »
I agree the first pic was funny with the glasses. I'm so there now  :-[

Made a few like this recently sans the shrink wrap. Is that just for added confidence or does it serve a real purpose?

Also curious what knot you prefer on the 80lb.

Thanks!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 10:23:59 AM »
 Hey Dave, those are +3.00 glasses. Way more than I need for just seeing, but they make putting the crimps on way easy.

Tom came up with the heat shrink idea. I like it because it keeps the hook and swivel from getting twisted around or stuck in a weird position on the loop. Not sure how to explain. It doesn't hurt anything I can see.

For the knots in the heavy mono, I use a 3 turn uni knot. Haven't had one come undone and it is easy to tie.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 01:11:37 PM »
Very nice looking stuff man, I use the same. And occasionally I'll use pulley rigs if I'm fishing light gear for leos. But lately I've bin obsessed with slide fishing, learning the ins and outs. So far only big rays on whole macks with it, but I feel I'll run into a good 1 soon ;) here's 1 I made

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 02:12:03 PM »
Very cool Ray, looks like a one way slide?  I made a few slides to use off the pier, but I have only tried them a couple times and got no love.

Care to tell a little about how you are making them or fishing them? Leader length? Stop ring or straight tie to sinker?

raychavez91

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 03:13:16 PM »
No problem man, I use them so far just off the beach, I use 40 mainline, 80 shock, I believe a 150 snap swivel, and an 8oz sputnik. I make my non return clips out of 14 gage galvanized wire, and a 100# swivel. Haven't ordered any stop rings or else I'd use them. But so far just medium size bats and small sharks. I use 130 wire, about 18", I used to use longer but it would tangle to often, and 2 8/0 j hooks crimped at the head of mack, and the by tail. So far haven't used them at night only the day, and my fish were always within the 1st 20 or so mins of sliding my bait, so who knows if it actually reaches the sinker? I'm confident its a very good technique for over here, provided there's no kelp and your lead catches good

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 03:31:01 PM »
Cool deal Ray. Just may try my hand at making a couple. Just need to do a little scrounging at work and maybe I'll have a project while I wait for some concrete to dry. Think I'll stick with one hook. I have enough trouble with one and a mouth full of teeth.

raychavez91

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 05:15:20 PM »
Yeah 30ft of 14 gauge galvanized wire is like $9 @ home depot. I just get to many bait thieves where I fish at, hence the double hook, but I'm sure something will inhale my jumbo mack sure enough...

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 05:57:29 PM »
Just killed an hour tying up some more surf rigs myself tonight.  I noticed I was getting low, so it was a perfect time re-stock.

Rig Box

Some XXX 10/0 shark rigs almost ready for packing.  Just need to add the sinker leader.

Hopefully the sharks start making their showing again soon.

raychavez91

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 08:10:34 PM »
Nice stuff man, whats the deal on the shrink wrap? Like is it your usual from the hardware store, or a fishing brand?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 08:33:20 PM »
Nice stuff man, whats the deal on the shrink wrap? Like is it your usual from the hardware store, or a fishing brand?
I've noticed the leader or crimps sometimes rotating or getting turned into some bad angles on the swivel and hook that I didn't like with my older rigs.  I liked using the snelled micro-strand steel leader which held the hooks outward for more hook ups, but the micro strand wire only came packaged up to 90# test.  When I upgraded to 135# coated stainless steel wire, the small pieces of shrink tubing prevent the leader from slipping into the weird occasional angles on the swivel and hold the hook out straight on the other end like the snelled steel line. 
Steve wasn't too sure at first when I started doing this, but I think he has had similar things happen to him and feels it only helps and definitely doesn't hurt anything.

I find it to make me much more confident in that type of fishing which is worth the few cents at least in my opinion.  It's the same stuff you can pick up at Home Depot or ebay if you want to get more bang for your buck.  8)

Dave Legacy

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 10:45:48 PM »
Ray,

Did you craft a jig for bending those slide buckles?

raychavez91

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 12:20:29 PM »
Pm'd you Dave

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 01:17:43 PM »
Just made a batch myself and opted for the shrink wrap. I do like the way it holds the jewelry in the right position ...  ;) :) :)