Author Topic: Night of Farming 02/24/17  (Read 1745 times)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
Night of Farming 02/24/17
« on: February 25, 2017, 01:40:32 PM »
So I was finally able to get out yesterday after a long time of being landlocked. Pulled and all day long excursion making bait at the harbor, got about 5 decent sized white croakers which I was up in the air on as far as effectiveness goes. I ended up picking up a single mac just in case the ronkies didn't produce. Made plans to meet up with Chad at our 7 spot. We got there about an hour before Chad. It was amazing how much the beach topography had changed and you could see a lot of new obstacles that were uncovered or created by the recent storms. Anyhow conditions were perfect, albeit a bit chilly and with quite a powerful rip. The first hour and a half was pretty quiet rod tips dancing as the bait swirled in the rip. Nothing touching the croaker so switched to the mac. At about 7:30 I got the tell tale bang bang tug, fish on! Could tell immediately it was a 7 but he was headed right towards the new rock trap that was created and our gear was getting danger close to getting swamped off the beach. I managed to turn the fish from the rocks but my headlamp was acting funky and it was really hard to get a good bearing on where the fish was going. I was running way to stiff of drag but still managed to get him in the skinny and see his tail and thrashed and then pop, tail waving at me as if to mock me. I'm too rusty lol.

Talk to Chad for a bit about the heartbreak and my lack of enthusiasm making another rig with my headlamp being so dim. He said he was having issues with weeds and offered me a rig he had premade, super cool move Chad! Made sure I got it back to him by the end of the night and told him to move down closer to our area since weeds had been almost non existent for us. Upon getting back to our camp Pat hooked up and was on something a little more feisty than a 7, which manages to catch my line too lol. Turned out to be a nice lively male leo!

Recast out and as we were all talking Chad gets a bite, I see his rod load up, but the fish doesn't stick. Well damn but at least they were biting.  By now all I had left was the croaker, decided to check my bait and start reeling in, damn this is way heavy what the hell, get it up to shore, damn -1 stupid thornback tried to eat almost a whole croaker and got a circle through his wing. Contemplated hacking him up for some bait, but decided we had too little time to fish to kill him and he'd be too much bait. As me and Pat constantly had to relocate our gear running from the tide I was placing my rod down and got another bang bang on it, cranked in fast but I had missed him.

With the primary exit of the beach now under 4 ft of water we had to decide how we were going to exfil off the beach, we'd have to climb up the 12' rock wall and walk on top of them 200yds to our vehicles. I got the jump on it early about an hour before we had to leave, did about 4 trips in total for Pat and I's gear and I guess during all of those Chad got another hook up, but another missed connection. As I was coming down from the last gear run Chad gets another very solid looking bend, after only 10 mins of last getting a bite. This one seems to be solidly on yet sadly for us he did not stay to say hi on the beach. Made sure everyone and their gear made it through the dicey exit then talked about the could have beens and some general jibber jabber and headed home. None the less a good night with good company and at least we know the fish are there and willing!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 01:42:19 PM by SevengillTheVC »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Night of Farming 02/24/17
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 01:53:21 PM »
I could use a night like that. Even losing the fish.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 07:57:03 PM »
Nice play by play Adam. It was great fishing with you and Pat!
We'll have to go back soon and get some I've those sevens on the sand.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 07:10:52 AM »
Nice leo, been so long since I've caught one I forgot what they looked like  :-\
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 08:40:39 AM »
Nice leo, been so long since I've caught one I forgot what they looked like  :-\

What's a leo :'(
Anybody have an emergency beer?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 05:59:02 AM »
Yeah, no kidding!  The last few times I've been out have yielded barely a bite!  Bravo guys!

Still a great night in my books and looking forward to getting more VC Seven's on the list this year!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.